Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTaffer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2014
And free update for previous users. Dunno about you guys but I missed this tweak.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
And free update for previous users. Dunno about you guys but I missed this tweak.

I get that it adds extra features, but since I never end up using them I typically skip tweaks like this.

I guess I'm curious what tweaks do people actually find useful, and actually use regularly?

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I get that it adds extra features, but since I never end up using them I typically skip tweaks like this.

I guess I'm curious what tweaks do people actually find useful, and actually use regularly?

I'm the same way... an iPhone's camera is designed to be point, and shoot. It's not a DSLR, and isn't meant to be. Whenever I have used camera tweaks or third-party camera apps, I find it's cheesy, like apps that record audio and make a music video or something... feels childish.

I'm curious what people use them for. The iPhone camera and the Camera app get rave reviews, even from photography professionals. I guess it's extra customization, but I just don't find the need to customize every aspect of my photo on a phone.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
I frequently need to record videos playing on a computer screen and also large, outdoor LED signs. It helps to be able to manually set the exposure and lock it so the screens don't get blown out. With exposure controls, such as these, I don't need to carry a second piece of equipment with me, everywhere I go during my work day.

JTaffer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2014

One of my favs is TypeStatus. Great if you get tons of texts.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

The stock Camera app doesn't allow for almost anything manual AND this is a huge problem with it, as

- there's no way to, say, force it to use high shutter speeds to shoot action in low light, even on the expense of using high sensitivities

- Apple doesn't allow third-party apps to use HDR (and panorama - nevertheless, manual settinsg don't affect pano), which is a HUGE problem as it's always preferable to use the HDR mode, Apple's implementation being THAT great.

CameraTweak has always allowed to fix these things. I haven't installed the new version of it yet as I've gone for the Note4 instead of the iPhone6+ but I'll report on it when I have the time, just like with the previous versions, of which I've written several articles.

jeevestobs

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2008
Thanks. I meant what tweaks does CameraTweak actually give you that you find useful.
One of the genuinely useful features the new version adds for iPhone 5s users is the ability to shoot videos with continuous auto-focus. You have to tap the screen once after starting the recording to activate it (maybe a bug), but it works smoothly (without constant focus hunting), just like (or similar to) how CAF works on iPhones 6. I don't know why Apple didn't enable it by default. Maybe it's one of those differentiating features that are supposed to make the new iPhones more attractive.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
One of the genuinely useful features the new version adds for iPhone 5s users is the ability to shoot videos with continuous auto-focus. You have to tap the screen once after starting the recording to activate it (maybe a bug), but it works smoothly (without constant focus hunting), just like (or similar to) how CAF works on iPhones 6. I don't know why Apple didn't enable it by default. Maybe it's one of those differentiating features that are supposed to make the new iPhones more attractive.

The stock Camera app doesn't allow for almost anything manual AND this is a huge problem with it, as

- there's no way to, say, force it to use high shutter speeds to shoot action in low light, even on the expense of using high sensitivities

- Apple doesn't allow third-party apps to use HDR (and panorama - nevertheless, manual settinsg don't affect pano), which is a HUGE problem as it's always preferable to use the HDR mode, Apple's implementation being THAT great.

CameraTweak has always allowed to fix these things. I haven't installed the new version of it yet as I've gone for the Note4 instead of the iPhone6+ but I'll report on it when I have the time, just like with the previous versions, of which I've written several articles.

Some good featues. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.