camino 1.6 alpha 1

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clevin, Dec 17, 2007.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

http://preview.caminobrowser.org/
    whats new

personal comments (always negative... :( ):
    1. still no full-page zoom as in firefox 3(and opera, of course), kinda disappointing
    2. still no drag-n-arrange tabs, again, kinda disappointing
    3. url bar functions are still weak, folks, take some lessens from firefox! since you guys are brothers.

2. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

I like the new way finder is displayed much handier then a pop up window.

3. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

As I have said before Camino WORKS with onspeed Firefox NEVER has which makes me think Firefox is exactly what it is an ugly port as opposed to a properly written Mac application that actually works the core of OS rather than sits on it. So maybe brotherly love should extend both ways ;)

In fact if Mozilla does not sort these memory leaks and memory holes soon Firefox on my PC could be heading closer to the door.

(Also pity they would not ditch Gecko and use something a little more in keeping with the 21st century)

4. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

firefox 3.0 for mac is written in cocoa.

and firefox isn't doing any worse than any other mac browsers, as far as memory leak is concerned.

gecko is good, what else engine can you expect in 21st century? webkit? bogged down with apple, presto? isn't even open. we all know trident is out of date. and never even mention about icab.

5. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I have used Safari 3 since leopard came out, this will probably continue, however Camino looks great! I really don't like the Firefox 3 UI.. the proto interface is nice. I probably won't use is when its released.

6. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

Well if it works with my web accelerator I will give it a clap

open??? who ****ing cares :rolleyes: there is only one open source bit of software I ever use on the Mac and that is VLC. I have Camino installed but rarely use it.

Try using Gecko based browsers on a dial up connection for any length of time and you will not have fun. I would almost like to pay your air ticket to demonstrate. :p

7. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

please do :D i need to get away during xmas anyway, and flight ticket is so ridiculous for that time span....

yes. for 56k..... as I understand, all so called web accelerators are operating as a proxy, they simply compact the picture quality before sending to your computer? is that right?

for that purpose, did you try alter the pipeline settings in firefox and remove the initial delay? which may drastically speed up firefox, up to 8X. :)

there is nothing about gecko that decide the speed. its all about how you want it to work. gecko does offer a great deal of options.

8. iBunny macrumors 65816

Is this 1.6 Alpha Faster than the latest and greatest official release of Camino?

I always found Camino to be faster than any other browser for the Mac; however, I always went back to Safari.... I dunno why? :cool: