Camino a bit slow...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dingdongbubble, Jul 25, 2007.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

I got Camino but I think it is a bit laggy, while Safari is better. Are there any advantages that Camino hold over Safari?

BTW (I know this is a very noobish question) How do you opena nw tab in Safari. I cant see the thing within the toolbar.:eek:

2. Frisco macrumors 68020

To open a new Tab in Safari>File New Tab or Apple Key + T

Apple Key + Clicking on a link opens up the link in a new Tab or right click on the link>select open link in new Tab.

If you aren't running the latest version of Safari (3.0.2) you have to enable tabs in Safari>Preferences>Tabs

The latest version of Safari can be downloaded here. It is still beta, but it is fast.

I don't use Camino.

3. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

The only advantages I see are ones that deal with the Gecko rendering engine, which Camino uses. Things like Edit-In-Place are available in Camino where they aren't in Safari yet (to be fair, they're in the Safari 3 Beta and all the nightlies).

Beyond that, I too prefer Safari, generally speaking.

4. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Holy

I am using version 2 and I found ot that I have to enable it in Preferences. Whats edit in place an the Gecko Engine?

Oh and BTW is the beta of Safari safe enough?

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

The Gecko engine is the rendering engine built by the Mozilla foundation and used by Firefox, Mozilla and Camino (and probably a few others). In contrast, Safari is built on the WebKit engine which was forked from the KHTML engine.

Edit-in-Place features can be seen if you go to Gmail with Firefox and then with Safari (and you use RTF-type e-mails). The ability to italicize and bold text (among other features) as if you were using something like Word is the Edit-in-Place I'm talking about.

Currently the Gecko engine allows that, but the version of WebKit that powers Safari 2 does not. But like I said earlier, the Safari 3 beta now has EIP stuff built in. So that'll be a non-issue pretty soon.

As for the safety of the Safari 3 Beta, that's up to you. If you're running it on a Mac, it's probably fine. ;)

6. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

So does Safari 3 run faster than 2? And is it stable?

7. Merlinus macrumors newbie

Actually, I found Camino to be the best at scrolling pages hands down.

Although Safari 3 tends to load pages a bit faster, neither Safari nor Firefox/Minefield can compare to how fast you can navigate a page after it's loaded in Caminio.

i.e. with free-scroll enabled on my mouse, I can scroll from the top of a page to the bottom, regardless of what images are on the page, in less than 1/2 a second with just a flick of the mouse button.

In Safari and Firefox, the page-scroll lags significantly behind the speed of the mouse wheel however, especially on image-heavy pages even with smooth scroll disabled.

8. dirtyhand macrumors newbie

I found Safarai beta 3 to run faster than 2... this is the main reason why I finally switched from Firefox.

9. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I haven't used Safari 3, but Camino has a cool feature where you can assign keyword shortcuts to tab groups.

10. defeated macrumors regular

enable pipeline and increase max connection through about:config, my friend

11. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is it networking:pipeline and networking:pipeline max connections?

Oh and BTW by slow I meant in scrollin. It feels laggy when I scroll down a page. As though the frame rate is slow in a movie.:D

:eek: Whats tht? Ok I mant to put a : colon but turned out as an emoticon. Sorry:eek: