Camino constantly beachballs when opening a few new tabs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by glib, Sep 4, 2007.

1. glib macrumors member

If I'm looking through some of my favorite news sites, and opening tabs of the major headlines (you know, maybe 5-10 tabs in the space of 5 or 6 seconds) Camino will start beachballing for 10 seconds at a time while it tries to load pages and create tabs. This happens after a fresh reboot, after days of uptime, with nothing else open, with everything else open. Latest version, on a macbook pro c1d with 2gb of ram. I just don't understand how a browser could be this slow.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

It's interesting, I use Camino at home on a MBP with a couple gigs of RAM, and at work on a G4 DP1000 with a measly 384MB, and I've noticed behavior somewhat similar to you, but ONLY on the MBP.

For one thing, I'm inclined to blame flash ads for what you're seeing--I've noticed that some flash ads are very, very effective at causing Camino to choke, and news sites are often a perpetrator. It is partly because of the way Camino handles flash in non-visible pages (I believe it keeps the content running even if it's not onscreen, where Safari pauses it if it's not in the active window), which ends up bogging down when it's trying to load a half dozen flash thingies at once.

Don't know whether that's more Adobe's fault or Camino's--I tried installing the beta of the latest version of Flash, but it only helped a little. You might try using one of those things that keeps flash from pre-loading until you click on it. Might help.

But I've also been seeing a surprising number of Camino crashes and things where the frontmost window will become unresponsive if you do certain things in a different site in a different window. Again, while I haven't done exactly the same things at work, it only seems to be at home.

I mention this because I'm sort of wondering if there might be some quirks in the Intel-native Camino code (though I don't remember it doing this prior to 1.5). Or maybe there's something else going on--perhaps it's a cache issue or something?

Kind of hoping maybe our problems are related, so maybe somebody else will have a suggestion...

3. glib thread starter macrumors member

Interesting to hear there are others out there with similar problems. I don't really know what could be causing it though. Since you mentioned flash I've done some (very unscientific) tests to see if thats my culprit as well, but near as I can tell, any page will do it.

This was the gamebreaker that made me switch away from camino before, but it's so much faster than firefox and safari, that I'd hate to have to do that again.

No one has a fix? Or even a cause?

4. glib thread starter macrumors member

Well to anyone else having this issue, this fix is:
    Safari 3 Beta
    GoodVibrations for adblock
    Use the keyboard shortcut remapper in system prefs to change the google search to command+k (exact name of the command is 'Google Search…' where those three dots are an elipse made with option+; and of course, no quotes).

Goodbye camino, again.