Camino & Firefox - are they EXACTLY compatible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mr Skills, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Since Camino and Firefox are based on the same engine, are they compatible/incompatible with exactly the same sites?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You ask a question that can only be answered definitively by someone who has used Camino and Firefox to visit every single site on the Internet. My own practical experience is that all Gecko-based browsers [of a particular version] render pages the same. This is not to say that there isn't some obscure site somewhere whose nitwit developer coded the site to a specific version of Firefox or Camino.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no

there are websites out there who only ID firefox's UI, rather than gecko's building ID

so

there are websites out there that works with firefox, but not camino. such as.... MSNBC video.

4. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

In which case... is it possible to spoof Camino's identity so it looks like Firefox? Then I'm guessing compatibility should get pretty close to 100%

Firefox's automatic update feature freaks out my mum, she always thinks things have broken. I wished they used Sparkle, it's much simpler/more obvious/less scary. I want to use Camino instead.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Turn off auto update in Firefox and just do it yourself when you visit?

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yes, and seems camino 1.6 will solve this problem once for all.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=401832