Camino for iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Salmar, May 5, 2010.

1. Salmar macrumors regular

Is it possible to download the Camino browser onto an iPad. I've been using it since I got my first Mac 2/12 years ago. Going to try to pick up an iPad Thursday at the Jax. Fl Apple store. Hopefully they have them in stock.
    thanks for a reply

2. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

3. emaja macrumors 68000

I was using Camino until Safari 4. I have switched entirely to Safari since v4 solved my biggest issues with it.

That said, I welcome alternatives to Safari on the iPad. The competition only drives innovation.

4. h00ligan macrumors 68030

No but atomic browser is a great app, with a few bugs..but cheap. I am sure that given the bugs they have already fixed it will be my go to, well it pretty much is now.

5. mobilebuddha macrumors regular

someone here recommended atomic browser in one of the threads that I saw. It took me about 2 minutes to make the decision and buying the $0.99 app. I have to say one of the best purchases that I made so far (right up there with Goodreader).

Just thought I'd provide an alternative, just in case you or anyone else reading this thread would be interested. :)

6. Satellitecentra macrumors newbie

7. chriszzz macrumors 6502

People still use Camino? Holy crap. Does it suck as hard as it did years ago?

8. 1appleAday macrumors regular

Another happy user of atomic browser. I like how it handles tabs, full browser mode, and it feels faster! Best 99 cents I spent! Highly recommended.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

All you have to do is to search for "Camino" or whatever else you are interested in within iTunes to see if it is available. You don't need an iPad to do the search.

10. Salmar thread starter macrumors regular

Okay thanks for all the replies. Well I do think Camino is very good and haven't had any problems with it. By the way I went to the Jax. Apple store today and they didn't have any 3G's available. So right now waiting for the app Camino if ever isn't the worst problem, it's the availability of the iPad.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

What exactly sucks about Camino? Before I went back to FireFox and Opera I only used Camino and it was a very pleasant experience.
    It may not have the extensibility of FireFox or Opera, but it is a nice light browser with more compelling features than Safari.
    Camino will likely never be on the iPad or iPhone, simply because Camino is just an offshoot of FireFox. If any Gecko engine browser makes it to the App Store it will be FireFox.

12. artguy10 macrumors member

artguy10

You want to know what sucks about Camino? It's nothing more than a re-skinned Firefox 2.0, meaning it doesn't properly render some pages that currently work across all major browsers, including IE8+, Firefox 3+, and Chrome 3+. As a web developer, I do not support Camino for this reason. If you want something that's as fast and simple as Camino, use Chrome or Safari.

Since Camino is only used by a small fraction of Mac users, there is little push to make an iPad version. Plus the platform is entirely different; while Camino is good for its simplicity, all iOS programs are already simple. I doubt there will even be Chrome on the iPad for years. You will see Opera and Firefox for iPad well before Camino.