Camino on iBook/MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SimonK, Mar 31, 2010.

1. SimonK macrumors newbie

I find that Camino runs very well on my iBook G4 1.2 Ghz machine. It leads me to think that because Camino is not so memory intensive and full of add-ons and so on (like Firefox), that it will work well on other low-end machines...

What do others think? Any other browsers that you find optimises performance? (I am even thinking of putting Camino on my MacBook, as Safari seems to slow down a lot at times...).

2. splitpea macrumors 6502a

IME Camino runs very well on older machines. Recent builds of Firefox are actually quite similar in performance until you install a few extensions, but Camino offers more features out-of-the-box. I still run it as my day-to-day browser on my G5 because nothing else feels quite as responsive.

If you're on an iBook, I might even recommend looking for older builds of Camino, which will be even faster for most browsing, although they don't handle Javascript well (which means sites like Facebook are very slow). Newer Camino builds are a tad heavier but have quite usable Javascript performance.

3. SimonK thread starter macrumors newbie

I am running Camino 1.6.9 on this G4 iBook. What are you running on the G5?

Actually, it just asked me earlier if I wanted to upgrade to Camino 2.x, but I declined...

4. splitpea macrumors 6502a

The difference in JS performance between 1.6 and 2.0 is night and day. I recommend you give it a try, but back up your profile first, since the profile upgrades aren't backwards-compatible.

FWIW, I used to run Camino on my G4 iMac, too (beginning in the days when it was called Chimera and there was no such thing as Safari ;)). Love this browser.

5. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I use Camino when I need to use the Gecko engine for sites who don't support Safari/Webkit. Much better then Firefox imho, and both is based on Gecko.