Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motc777

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Dallas
I was thinking of installing this from Mozilla on our G4 in the office. It's been about a year since I did that so I was wondering if any of you are currently using it and what your thoughts are in terms of ease of use and performance. Seemed like it was rather good a year ago. This is I believe a clone version of Safari?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Camino is my main browser. its great, superfast, lean. and i haven't come across a site it cant handle.

its based off of the gecko engine that FF and Mozilla use, but it's intent is to be a native OS X browser, instead of cross platform like FF. things have improved a lot over the last year. i'd give it a go, wouldn't hurt.

motc777

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Dallas
PlaceofDis said:
Camino is my main browser. its great, superfast, lean. and i haven't come across a site it cant handle.

its based off of the gecko engine that FF and Mozilla use, but it's intent is to be a native OS X browser, instead of cross platform like FF. things have improved a lot over the last year. i'd give it a go, wouldn't hurt.

Your avatar is quality matey!

Thanks for the response...any dissenting opinions anyone?

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
I can't dissent -- I'm running Camino 1.0b2+ as my main browser and I love it. It lacks RSS support, but it's fast, stable, and, above all, it's rendered everything I've thrown at it.

Some MR users have been talking up Shiira quite a bit lately, so you may want to give that a look. I hope to play with it this weekend! :p

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
motc777 said:
This is I believe a clone version of Safari?

I don't remember how old Camino (Chimera before that?) is. It seems to me that it is older than Safari. It is a capable browser but spent a lot of time languishing. I always appreciated it as an alternative to Mozilla that worked much more quickly when it was finally decided to use a Mach-O backend. Since Firefox has that backend now and seems more flexible, I choose to use it instead.

Shiira is also a great alternative and requires no plug-ins to run Java since Apple pulled a move from the book of Microsoft and caused non-Webkit browsers trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
I started using camino as a temporarily solution as the previous to current update to safari was constantly crashing. Now that I've come accustomed to camino it's now my default browser. I love how streamlined and clean it is compared to firefox (I don't find much use in extensions myself save for adblock). The only things I would like in camino to which it is lacking currently is spell checker, a simple rss feature and the ability to add new search items to the quick search.

motc777

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Dallas
FistfulofAngst said:
I started using camino as a temporarily solution as the previous to current update to safari was constantly crashing. Now that I've come accustomed to camino it's now my default browser. I love how streamlined and clean it is compared to firefox (I don't find much use in extensions myself save for adblock). The only things I would like in camino to which it is lacking currently is spell checker, a simple rss feature and the ability to add new search items to the quick search.

Do you know if RSS is a future enhancement coming down the pike?

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
motc777 said:
Do you know if RSS is a future enhancement coming down the pike?

I honestly couldn't tell you but I imagine it's in the pipeline, at least I hope it is.

mileslong

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Newport Beach, CA
i have used camino for a while now and i really like but it has given me two major problems that i really cant overcome and now i use firefox. camino has trouble with sites that have a lot of java script type stuff like scrollers etc. my own website that drives my business has three tickers on it and it causes some odd renderings. also on hotmail i cant delete emails with my mouse, very odd.

i really want to use it since i dont really like safari and its odd bookmark layout and i dont thinks its as fast as camino and firefox.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
mileslong said:
i have used camino for a while now and i really like but it has given me two major problems that i really cant overcome and now i use firefox. camino has trouble with sites that have a lot of java script type stuff like scrollers etc. my own website that drives my business has three tickers on it and it causes some odd renderings. also on hotmail i cant delete emails with my mouse, very odd.

i really want to use it since i dont really like safari and its odd bookmark layout and i dont thinks its as fast as camino and firefox.
Camino works like a charm on all but one of my favorite sites. For this I blame the webmaster, not the browser. Unfortunately, that single site caused me to switch to Safari as my primary browser. However, Camino is still my back-up browser and my favorite Gecko-based browser.

jrpvt

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2005
Philadelphia
camino is great

I've used Safari for the longest time and loved it with very few complaints. However, because I have direcway satellite internet (welcome to Vermont) some pages don't load correctly or all the way on Safari from some strange reason (NSURLErrorDomain:-1011). Finally I gave up taking the time to clear my cache and downloaded Camino. Camino is small but powerful. It's got a nice look too, a lot better than before when I tried it out and seems to be faster than Safari (once again, it's probably the satellite, not the browser). The lack of RSS though really kills it for me at least, so right now I'm using both Safari and Camino. I can't remember the last time Camino didn't load a page all the way.

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
I thought Camino was a version of FireFox and Shiira was a version of Safari. :confused:

Either way, Shiira owns all. :)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
FistfulofAngst said:
The only things I would like in camino to which it is lacking currently is spell checker...
Yup. That's one big feature I miss now that I use Camino way more than Safari.

Synapple

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2004
Rome, Italy
devilot said:
Yup. That's one big feature I miss now that I use Camino way more than Safari.

Same here... but apart from that it's my main browser.

And I keep Shiira in my dock for my private browsing.. ehm ehm :eek:

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Camino is my main browser as well, the only thing i don't like about it is the fact there is no spell check, apart from that it is great...

It looks amazing by far the best looking browser for any platform, as well as this is a native OS X app unlike Firefox and it is clean, fast and simple to use..

The main reason I use it over Safari is firstly that i find Safari quite ugly and secondly it is slow....

Long live Camino and I look forward to 1.5.....

Shadow

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
bursty said:
I thought Camino was a version of FireFox and Shiira was a version of Safari. :confused:

Either way, Shiira owns all. :)
You have to use terms correctly. Camino and Firefox are both Gecko-based browsers. Camino is a MacOS X-native compiled application from Mozilla. Firefox is based on the browser component of the XUL-based application now known as the Mozilla Suite. Shiira is an alternative WebKit-based browser. WebKit is the browser framework used to build Safari. It shares Safari's bookmarks. The most obvious difference between Shiira and Safari is that Shiira incorporates selectable themes.

solaris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
Oslo, Norway
motc777 said:
I was thinking of installing this from Mozilla on our G4 in the office. It's been about a year since I did that so I was wondering if any of you are currently using it and what your thoughts are in terms of ease of use and performance. Seemed like it was rather good a year ago.
Camino is my favorite browser, and I really recommend you give it a go.
Because it sure have improved a lot since you used it a year ago.

This is I believe a clone version of Safari?
Then you're wrong!
* Camino (Chimera) started in 2001, and the first version was relased february 2002.
* Safari was announced january 2003, and the first version was released june 2003.

So its pretty obvious that Camino dont clone Safari, since it was released 1 1/2 earlier. :p

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I love Camino, but I finally (last week) got fed up and started using Firefox as my main browser, because Camino just won't show graphics on certain sites (I posted about this earlier, see here).

Still don't know what the problem was. People tried to help, but no one else seemed to have any problem with it.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
MisterMe said:
You have to use terms correctly. Camino and Firefox are both Gecko-based browsers. Camino is a MacOS X-native compiled application from Mozilla. Firefox is based on the browser component of the XUL-based application now known as the Mozilla Suite. Shiira is an alternative WebKit-based browser. WebKit is the browser framework used to build Safari. It shares Safari's bookmarks. The most obvious difference between Shiira and Safari is that Shiira incorporates selectable themes.

Actually Camino isn't any more a natively-compiled application than Firefox is but it uses Mac OS X GUI elements instead of XUL-based elements.

Shiira can use either Safari or Firefox bookmarks, since version 1.2 and has Tab-Exposé, which allows you to see multiple windows on the press of <F8>.

annk said:
I love Camino, but I finally (last week) got fed up and started using Firefox as my main browser, because Camino just won't show graphics on certain sites (I posted about this earlier, see here).

Still don't know what the problem was. People tried to help, but no one else seemed to have any problem with it.

Camino version 1.0b2 is out. You might try it.

Attachments

• ShiiraPrefs.png
    ShiiraPrefs.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 63

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
I love Camino, it is my primary browser. I've tried Shiira a couple times, but it just doesn't offer me anything I really need, and I can't even figure out how to open my bookmarked sites in a new tab. Not to mention, it doesn't block ads like Camino does.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
annk said:

I may have an idea. Camino has a built in ad blocker, but their lists of what is and isn't an ad are far from perfect. You might want to try, purely as a proof of concept, going into the Preferences and unticking "Block Web Advertising". Close the preference window, and hold down shift and press refresh on the page. If the images then show, your problem is solved. And if it isn't, sorry. :)

But anyway, Camino has been my number one browser for most of 2005 and now into 2006. I know for a fact that support for RSS is going to be added at some point, but almost certainly not by the final 1.0 version (due any day now apparently). But it will come.

For all Camino users missing a few advanced features found in other browsers, be sure to pick up CamiTools.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Camino's great...i used it for a while as my default browser but switched to Safari around the time Tiger was released. I just find it faster than Camino.

What would be great is if the OmniGroup could get OmniWeb as fast as either Camino or Safari. That would be my default browser, without a doubt, then.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
bousozoku said:
Camino version 1.0b2 is out. You might try it.

I just downloaded the latest nightly build, and the problem is gone! Thanks!!

And thanks for your input, too, thequicksilver - I didn't get a chance to try it, I had downloaded the nightly build before I saw your post.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Camino is fantastic, but it can't do everything. I love the firefox search engines, Camino does not have that. But then, firefox is always hanging, which rarely happens with Camino. Safari looks nice, better than Camino and Firefox. I like Opera too, just for fun. So I use browsers for different things:

Camino: General web browsing, etc
Firefox: RSS Feeds (checking blogs etc), academic research, bbc news feed
Safari: When I'm showing off in front of students (it's kind of rubbish after that)
Opera: When I need a change of scenery

I gave up on Omniweb, they actaully wanted me to PAY for a browser!:rolleyes:

Now to check out Shiira...

YOJ

Edit: OK. Downloaded Shiira. Whoa! Now that's a fast browser...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.