camino vs. firefox... and what about chromium crossover???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vegas-steven, Dec 8, 2008.

1. vegas-steven macrumors regular

ok so here we go:

after finally getting a new pc I am able to use my iMac as a. iMac and not a rigged up windows xp machine.

however on that note windows so has google chrome and firefox.
    I downloaded and installed chromium crossover on osx but do t think it is as fast as firefox 3, but firefox 3 seems to be a bigger browser footpri t wise.

so my question is whatnos different between camino and firefox, and does anyone actually use chromium?

I am feeling new to mac all over again!

thanks

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Chromium is pretty spotty, you might want to try stainless if you want a multi-process browser. It doesn't have a bookmarks list and I don't think its history works right, but the foundation is there.

Camino is OSX native and renders with the gecko engine, but it doesn't run Firefox add-ons. I can't think of a reason to run it since Firefox 3 came out, but I really have a tough time grasping at reasons to use Firefox. With inquisitor, cooliris, safariblock, and the distinct speed advantage of Safari, I rarely find myself not using Safari.

3. vegas-steven thread starter macrumors regular

well I personally hate the download list in safari... stupid I know but I use it a lot and like how chrome handles downlads.

safari DOES have a privacy mode thought which I do need to have.

I'll give it another shot then. I like the speed of firefox though.

the one thing about chrome e is how each tab is it's own process and cannot take down an entire browser.
    great idea.

4. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

The thing i like about Chrome is that it is multi process browser so that if one site crashes, it won't crash the browser but overall i think that firefox is far better. It has pretty much everything.. i like the addons especially ;)