Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmj

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
The biggest issue I have with Camino is it uses an old rendering engine, so it lags way behind other browsers in that regard. I do like the way it organizes tabs and the UI is nice and colorful. I'd probably use over Safari and Firefox if its rendering engine wasn't so outdated. There were rumors they were switching to Webkit, but I guess that never happened.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Agreed. He does this on all subjects, and ads his own "Appel is dah pwnerz" flair.

Having said that, I choose Safari over Camino, since the development of Camino has slowed to a snail's pace. However, all browsers running on modern engines other than IE (still not up to standards snuff) preform about the same. There might be some irrelevant speed differences in javascript, but they aren't even measurable unless the same routine is run MILLIONS of times. So it's really up to the end user and how you like the interface. Some of Camino's features like tab overview, growl notifications, and better (IHMO) tab management are nice. Safari has nice eye candy like top sites.

Really? All you have done is embarrass yourself. I don't think "Appel is dah pwnerz" because that's not even english. Not sure about your education and intelligence, but mine clearly tells me that you know nothing about what you're mumbling about. A person can only talk in language, and since you clearly demonstrated that you can't, I call it mumbling.

I always back up my facts with evidence and clearly label what is opinion. You back up the notion that you know absolutely nothing at all and speak a language only people of your (low) level can comprehend. Again, that's just IMHO.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
The biggest issue I have with Camino is it uses an old rendering engine, so it lags way behind other browsers in that regard. I do like the way it organizes tabs and the UI is nice and colorful. I'd probably use over Safari and Firefox if its rendering engine wasn't so outdated. There were rumors they were switching to Webkit, but I guess that never happened.

Firefox and Camino use the same Gecko rendering engine. Firefox 3.6 is on Gecko 1.9.2 and Camino 2.0 is on Gecko 1.9. So if you're using Firefox because you think it has a "better" engine than Camino, I believe you might be mistaken.

mt

rhapa

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2011
Tested.

Well, to test this topic by myself I made a test on Camino and on Safari using a stable internet connection of 1 mega (actually the data transfer was, in both browsers, around 74 kb/s)

I did the following: I set in both browsers the site "www.harrypotter.com" as the home page. Then I quitted both. With a stopwatch a marked the time they spent on loading the page (until the video controls appeared and not until the video finished loading) since the click on its icon. The results was:

Camino 2.0.9 - 0 minute and 11 seconds (0'10"8)
Safari 4.04 - 0 minute and 28 seconds (0'27'9)

On my system Camino was pretty much faster. On safari the loading bar of the site crashes while loading, and when finishing loading the video just lags until its controls appears. Yet in camino it runs smooth and I guess it just don't come faster due to the internet connection. Okay, this prove that camino's faster on Flash but what about a page that's more heavy in images and texts? Well, I did the same with the site "www.insanelymac.com/forum" and got this:

Camino 2.0.9 - 0 minute and 8 seconds (0'8"3)
Safari 4.04 - 0 minute and 8 seconds (0'7"6)

So what I can say is that Camino runs flash faster than safari, but the video loading is similar and as seen above the text and image loading is also similar. So Camino is good for Flash, but on my experience Safari is smoother than Camino on daily use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.