Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
Yeah, I've completely stopped using all other browsers at this point. I wish that Camino Developers would declare the official 1.0, because a lot of places (my school, for instance) do not support betas.

Jonx

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2004
I dont know what browser to use anymore, firefox, camino, safari, omniweb, opera all installed :eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
What happened to Camino 0.9? It's still on the roadmap, but it seems they've just jumped to 1.0 development? Hmmm....

I'm downloading it now to check it out, though. :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I thought Camino 0.9 was supposed to feature inline spell checking when it was done...but it still doesn't seem to be available in 1.0a1.... I wonder what their development plan is these days..... :(

At least, though, they seem to have resolved the sticky issue with text boxes and animated GIFs from the previous round of betas.... :D

spellflower

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
What do you like about Camino? What are the various advantages of Camino/Firefox/Safari. Does any one use the new Netscape, or would that just be absurd? What about the recent security issues with Firefox? Basically, Why do you use what you use?

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Im using it as my main browser too. Ive downloaded Opera which is what I used on the PC just before I switched, but thought id check out some of the other Mac native browsers. So at the moment im using Camino and Shiira. Camino looks VERY nice... I love the icons and shadow effects and the unified look is very clean. Shiira is similar. I love both so far. Havent really checked out Safari yet. Will probably do so at some point...

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Worth noting that from a roadmap perspective the only differences between 0.9 and 1.0 are polish and *maybe* moving from QuickDraw to Quartz. As a result, if they feel that 0.9 is stable enough they could easily declare it 1.0 without breaking from their plans, even if it is partly a marketing move.

Camino is, and has been for a very long while, my main browser (though I also use Safari--Firefox is just too clunky for my taste), mainly on account of the combination of smooth operation, pleasant interface, and general stability. I won't say it's the best browser available, but it's certainly a good one.

1.0a has significantly improved the slow typing issue, so really the only biggies left in their "to do" list are spell checking and autofill. Better handling of pages with embedded Flash (also on their list) would be a big niceity (as is, the browser slows drastically when there's more than a couple animations on the page), but I'd say isn't as vital if they decide to push it back to 1.1 or something.

Here's hoping that the list gets shorter quickly so I can proudly install 1.0 after all these years of 0.x releases.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
I had to decide between provoking, "Holy Resurrected Thread, Batman" comments or "Why didn't you search first, n00b"<--:rolleyes: comments, so I'm going to dig up this thread:

Camino 1.0 has gone Beta! :D

ch-ch-check it out! http://www.caminobrowser.org

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.