Camino

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
Hi,
I'm looking into Camino. I'd like some pluses and minuses.
I had one heck of a time printing boarding passes out yesterday. Couldn't do it on Safari, and Explorer gave me fits too.
Also, I was using the same printer that I use at home, but I had to re-find the printer???? What's with that?? This was with both Safari and MSIE
Thanks.
Frank

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
There are loads of threads on "Which browser is best"... in the end it all hinges on the user, and the application. Sometimes it's best to have an array of tools at your disposal (and use each to suit).. search around, perhaps. It's all been said before.

I'm a Firefox kinda guy myself, though. I've very rarely had to switch to another browser to make things work.

Comment

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Download it and try it out... it costs nothing.

Doesn't stop you from going back to Safari or whatever if you don't like it...

Comment

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Camino is pretty good. It's from the Mozilla people, so as far as I can tell, it's standards-compliant and all that. It's pretty light weight, and not very system intensive, either. If a website has a custom icon, Camino will save it if you bookmark that site, which I like. One thing I don't like about Camino, is that if you click and hold down on a link, it won't open a submenu; you have to control-click on it. This trick does work in FireFox, Mozilla and Netscape ... go figure :confused: If Safari did this, I would love it forever. That, and if you could move tabs around, too.

Comment

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
im forever switching back and forth between browsers, i cant decide which is the best personally, safari just isnt cutting it for me, it has a lag on some sites that is just plain annoying, i like camino, its fast and user friendly, although im not sure i like its bookmarking, i think im going to have to give firefox a long hard look and see how it is, i will probably settle with either camino or firefox in the end though

Comment

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
>>it has a lag on some sites that is just plain annoying,<,

I'm lately finding that Safari won't open pages that it used to open? Especially on business sites where I want to check posts or pay bills. Even here on macRumors, I'm starting to get "Safari can't open page" statements. Maybe my Safari is starting to go?? Not sure if that happens in the Apple World. Did all the time in the PC universe. Programs became corrupted?? I guess I'll have to play with Camino, et all. I hate to have too many items out there. It gets hard to remember where you have what stored.

Frank

Comment

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I use different browsers for different purposes. 90% of my browsing is done in Safari, because it has that nice Apple feel, but I also use Firefox a lot, and IE or Netscape when I have to. Camino is alright, but it's no better than Firefox in my eyes.

Comment

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
I find it very annoying to have to use various browsers for various projects. But I understand the need. Maybe OSX Tiger will have some update to Safari that will cure all of this. It actually surprises me a bit that Apple hasn't worked on Safari more to cure these ills.

Frank

Comment

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i use camino all the time. its nice and quick, simple, looks nice and just does most things i want well!

try it, what can you loose by it?

Comment

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Well I've been testing out Firefox for the past few days now and I really like it. The main reason is the speed of it. I have become increasingly irritated by the length of time it takes Safari to redraw a page and position you to where you were.

For example if you hit the back arrow out of this thread back to the main MacRumors page Safari always seems to hang for a few secs and then position the page correctly, whereas Firefox is significantly faster.

The only downer is that it looks like a windows app, which disturbs me.

Vanilla

Comment

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
fjs08 said:
>>it has a lag on some sites that is just plain annoying,<,

I'm lately finding that Safari won't open pages that it used to open? Especially on business sites where I want to check posts or pay bills. Even here on macRumors, I'm starting to get "Safari can't open page" statements. Maybe my Safari is starting to go?? Not sure if that happens in the Apple World. Did all the time in the PC universe. Programs became corrupted?? I guess I'll have to play with Camino, et all. I hate to have too many items out there. It gets hard to remember where you have what stored.

Frank
Safari works fine on this end. There may be something going on with your business sites, but the browser is not coming apart at the seams.

Comment

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
I installed Camino this morning. Pretty nice, but I don't really understand "tabbed" browsing. Can someone give me a quick tutorial on it???

Frank

Comment

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
fjs08 said:
I installed Camino this morning. Pretty nice, but I don't really understand "tabbed" browsing. Can someone give me a quick tutorial on it???

Frank
basically tabbed browsing allows you to have multiple tabs/sites/pages open in the same browser window rather than having many windows open and cluttering your desktop. You can switch between tabs and close the ones you dont want any more, you can have it set so that when you click a link it opens in a new tab rather than a new window, its effective because it helps browse a bit easier

Comment

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
I downloaded Firefox too, just to play with it. Is there a way to import Safari bookmarks into Firefox??

Frank

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.