CAMP 5,1 boot problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Menco, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Menco macrumors newbie

My new-to-me 5,1 3.33GHz hex-core came with 32gb RAM and a Sapphire MaxEdition 7950. I cannot install an OS because the machine hangs on boot. The video card works fine on either of my other cMP 3,1 machines. I've done cmd-opt-r-p, pulled power to reset nvram and a few I've forgotten trying to get it up.

Booting in verbose mode I see this 5,1 hangs while executing the second command, which deals with loading drivers. I've posted a screenie because I'm prone to typos and this is easier. IMG_20170305_083643.jpg

I've scoured several forums without finding this problem, this forum crowd seems more savvy than most. Perhaps you can help me?

2. Filin Contributor

Filin

3. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

If you have a 3,1 as well, just put the HDD into the 3,1, install OS onto that HDD (of course a version that can be run on both 3,1 and 5,1. e.g. El Capitan), and swap it back to the 5,1.

4. Menco thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, here's a fuller rundown. I get the same hang sequence booting from external USB flash drive, on-board DVD and OEM Apple OSX CD media AND when I swap the working HDD from a 3,1.

I only posted one screening and I could post more, but each media hangs in the same command.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 5, 2017 ---

OOPS, my bad. I am trying to load OSX onto a fresh drive but cannot get a boot from any of my currently bootable media. The screenie shows the verbose boot sequence FROM a bootable USB. I've checked the fish drive, it boots the 3,1 just fine.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 5, 2017 ---
    Trying to install FROM USB, the USB works fine in other machines.

BTW, I see my phone autocorrected my intended thread title from "cMP 5,1 Boot Problem" to: Camp 5,1 Boot Problem, please excuse. Are OP posts/titles editable here?

5. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Remove all HDD / USB device, and try Apple Hardware Test with that OEM disc.

6. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

what OS X Version are you booting? as it looks exactly like trying to boot OS X on a Mac with an incompatible kernel for your CPU, if your using OEM media from a Mac Pro 3,1 it will not boot on a 5,1 as that is 10.5 leopard, a 5,1 is only compatible with OS X 10.6.4 and higher

7. Menco thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, the OEM media is probably too old but my bootable USB is Snow Leopard 10.6.8

8. AUser2017 macrumors newbie

Maybe osx 10.6.8 trys to boot in 32bit kernerl mode and your 64 bit mp5.1 doens´t like that... I doubt it, but who knows...

9. orph macrumors 6502a

emm a quick google finds "Sapphire MacEdition 7950"
    https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sapphire/100352MAC2/
    "System Requirements Mac OS X 10.7.5 or later, Mac OS X 10.8.2 or later"
    so 10.6 might just not work with that card.

simple test swap the GPU (you mention having more than one macpro) and see if you can install

to install osx the easiest way i have found is to, get a usb stick then install osx on to it and copy the osx installer app on to the stick.
    then when you want install osx or trouble shoot just plug in your usb stick and have fun.