Camp Outside or Wait Until After Launch.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by realph, Mar 2, 2011.

1. realph macrumors regular

It seems Apple aren't giving you a choice here, if you want it on day one you'll need to get in line on Mar 11. You'll be able to order online from March 11 but you won't receive it on launch. Am I right? What ever happened to pre-ordering?

2. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

Curious about this myself. I don't have a gen 1 iPad, so I'll be getting iPad 2; just don't know what kind of hype will be happening on Mar 11.

3. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i would start camping out in line this friday. any later and you may never get an ipad 2.

4. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I think they will have plenty to just be able to walk in and get one? I really doubt demand will be that high. And being there are 18 models I think they will have quite a bit in hand!

5. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

6. iDabble macrumors regular

there will definitely be a rush and lines. didn't the first ipad sell out everywhere for weeks at a time?

i'll be waiting until the campus computer store gets it, which i'm hoping is the 11th. they should have plenty

7. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I think there will be a lot of people, more than the original iPad launch. Especially since there seems to be no pre-ordering or reservations.

I know a lot of people who want an iPad but have been waiting for the second gen.

The 5PM launch will make it a little strange, nice to not have to wake up early though.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

On launch day for the iPad 1 I was in and out of the Applestore in 15 minutes. No waiting in line at all. However, that was when no one knew what to use an iPad for -- and people were saying that its just a giant iPod touch with a smirk on their face.

I'm guessing it will be a little more busy this time, but so many people already have the iPad that its hard to imagine demand as intense as the first one eventually became.

In any case, definitely not worth camping out for. Apple will make more. :)

9. PCClone macrumors 6502a

Having the same debate. Will be my first iPad, that wife gave permission and I want it on the 11th. May check out the local Apple store around noon and see if there is a line.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Order online and don't waste your day standing on line.

11. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

im trying to decide as well. im considering just taking the day off and treating myself. or ill just wait. I def want to buy it at a store tho cause NH is close to me and its tax free. but I am kind of tempted to wait and let ifixit tear it down and let 3rd party case makers get to work so im kind of undecided. I still have my 1st gen and now that resale value is crap I might as well wait.

12. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

What will it be like the next day, on Saturday. Will there be any iPads left ? Will there still be a line ?

13. pettit423 macrumors newbie

what are the odds that best buy will have the ipad 2 on launch day?

14. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

How fast is the shipping if you order it online?

15. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I dont see there being a line. If you order online and have an issue...can you return in the Apple store or have to send back?

Also, like the iPhone..If you order online...You receive it on the launch day in the mail. So they ship like on the 8th or something.

16. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I thought you couldn't order online until the 11th.

17. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

They say "Fast shipping" online. So I'm going to assume it's fast.

18. Branskins macrumors 65816

You cannot order until the 11th though so I don't know if you can get it same day if you order online. Just keep that in mind :p

19. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

That's odd...I was able to with the iPhone. I got it on release day at my job.

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

Interestingly the website says "Buy iPad from the Apple Online Store starting March 11 and get free shipping." That doesn't necessarily preclude Apple opening up ordering early next week.

At face value, the text does seem to indicate that ordering won't commence until March 11th though.