Camping question - specifically stoves.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Oct 4, 2013.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Any campers here?

I'm going away for a short camping trip next weekend and I'm kicking around the idea of getting a small stove instead of the largish one I currently take with.

I own this stove though it probably needs to be replaced, rust, and use have doomed it to an early death
    colmans.jpg

Given that I'm only going to be camping for 2 nights and I'll be eating out at least one of those nights and hiking during the day it doesn't seem worthwhile to bring this bad Larry with me.

Any suggestions for smaller stoves, I'll mostly be looking to cook some sort of breakfast and maybe one dinner.

Since I frequently go out on these quick weekend camp trips I'm thinking something lighter may be better. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

When you say that you are hiking during the day, do you mean that you are moving camp and have to take your stuff with you? Also, what kind of meals are you wanting to cook? If you are looking for just a single burner and light enough to carry with you then I would go with something like this...

http://www.rei.com/product/660004/snow-peak-gigapower-stove-manual

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I have a Jetboil, which I LOVE. You can definitely find something cheaper, like an MSR Whisperlite or something similar, but the Jetboil is my personal favorite.

4. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No just day trips returning back to my campsite. I'm planning on climbing Mt. Washington and maybe another mountain

----------

That was one of the items I was looking at and I'm a REI member so I can get 20% off this weekend. Thanks for the confirmation on this model, I may definitely take the plunge :D

5. Macinva macrumors 6502

Macinva

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Just an idea here...it does require a rather large backpack...:eek:

;)

Attached Files:

7. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Alcohol stoves are very popular for lightweight camping. You can buy them or make them.

8. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks, I'll check them out when I head to REI, I'm sure this will be there, or something along the lines :D

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

or some sherpa porters to carry it.

[​IMG]

10. 4JNA, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

no idea what i have, hope it never breaks!

went out to the garage to look, and my stove has no markings left... well except dents and carbon marks. :eek:

looking at google/rei, it looks most like a 'WhisperLite' liquid fuel stove. i got it in the late 80's in Denver, may have been at REI or the other shop downtown that i can't think of the name of now... the liquid fuel systems has never failed me in a huge number of years and climbs. it boils. it cooks. it simmers. it dries out my socks. and stuff.

happy adventure, and best of luck.

EDIT: yes, like the 'BassPro' link above that you quoted. that's looks like mine except it's newer and has paint and actual knobs that i long ago broke or lost... vise grips FTW!

Other EDIT: so 'Snigrab' bubbled up in a memory. was it always 'Sports Authority' or has the name changed? might have bought this stove there, but have also bought bikes, skis, and other stuff there as well over the years. long ago and far away. getting old sucks. and hurts. but mostly just sucks...

11. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks guys for your opinions and advice. I opted for the jetboil
    jetboil.jpg

A tad pricey but with a 20% discount, it made it a bit more palatable. Plus other units with just the stove unit were in the 30 to 50 dollar range. Add in a cooking vessel and we're talking nearly the same price.

I'm looking forward to getting away for a few days and undertaking some long hikes. :D