Camping!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iamasmith, May 21, 2015.

1. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

Hell, I never felt the need for a charger in the past because I would always charge iPhone from the car but now SWMBO reminded me we are camping this weekend..

If I don't find a charger pack tomorrow that will do the job I guess I'm into..

a) Wear the ProTrek
    b) Reserve mode

ProTrek has it I think.. I'll have a look in PC World (UK) tomorrow lunchtime though.

2. flur macrumors 68000

Can't you also charge the watch in the car?

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

Why not just buy a USB Battery Pack? That way, you can charge your iPhone / Apple Watch / iPad, or just about anything that does USB charging.

4. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 6502a

I bought the Nomad Pod for this but it doesn't ship until June 15th. You could charge in the car or buy a USB battery pack as suggested. It should easily last you the weekend.

5. susan12369 macrumors 6502

I too will be camping this weekend. I have a couple of external USB chargers that I will be bringing for my phone and watch, a Mophie and a Jackery bar. I can always get a few nights' charge for my phone, and am assuming I'll get at least that for my watch. Worst case scenario would be charging from my car.

6. adamjackson macrumors 65816

<---camping this weekend as well.

I have a 4-Port USB Hub in my car. iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and GF's iPhone will be plugged in on the route to camp-site. there won't be any service there so I'll likely keep everything in airplane mode most of the weekend.

If I need a charge, I have a Mophie Battery Pack w/ 2 USB Ports to charge things.

7. susan12369 macrumors 6502

Where are you headed? I'm in MA and will be camping in ME

8. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Some would say I already live in the middle of nowhere. (03748 right on one of the lakes up here)

I'll be heading to Northern Maine. Specifically, 04984 (Temple, ME) to stay on a lake up there. Should be a very quiet area as most people do the beach thing but I need some R&R away from my place.

Last year this weekend, my lake house was overrun with motorcycles, speed boats, loud music and drunken partiers who rent houses along the lake. I'm sure it'll be the same this year.

Maine is gorgeous this time of year! Let's hope for a non-rainy weekend.

9. susan12369 macrumors 6502

Yes, hopefully the weather will be great! I'll be in the Freeport area. Enjoy :)

10. iamasmith thread starter macrumors regular

iamasmith

There are two ports in the car, which are good enough for an iPhone charge whilst charging. Both are taken of course with iPhones needing charge.

I'll be looking for a battery pack tomorrow and getting it fully charged before the trip :p

Knowing how rainy it often is I'll also be seeing how comfortable the sports band is over a few days :)

11. Xtremjeepn macrumors regular

This works wel when camping and you can use it for other things too.

http://www.cavevan.com/yeti400.html

12. iamasmith thread starter macrumors regular

iamasmith

That looks an awesome piece of kit it you have the sunlight on a prolonged trip. A long weekend in Wales maybe doesn't justify it though :D

Nice bit of gear though :)

13. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

I apologize for going off topic here but what does SWMBO mean?

14. iamasmith thread starter macrumors regular

iamasmith

She Who Must Be Obeyed :)

15. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

Haha. Never saw that before. Thanks!

16. jjlannoo Suspended

Mine worked fine camping, but then My brother is loaded and has a hell of a setup. lol

17. Ibexto macrumors member

So going to use that, better than ComFleetHome (commander fleet home) AKA wife. :eek: Shhhh don't tell.

18. susan12369 macrumors 6502

How did the sports band work out? Did it get uncomfortable in the rainy weather?

I got back this afternoon and my watch worked out great, had no trouble charging it from the external charger, and it was really great to see my activity level while I was gone.

19. iamasmith thread starter macrumors regular

iamasmith

Well, this turned out not to happen.

I got sick on Friday night and wasn't going anywhere :(

20. Xtremjeepn macrumors regular

We camped for 4 days. Brought one charger for 2 Watches. Worked fine. We just took turns using the charger. Plenty of opportunities to take your watch off for an hour or more to let it charge while camping.

21. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I simply bring a 26 foot travel trailer along with me when I go "camping" which eliminates any problems with charging my watch, my iPhone and my iPad. LOL