Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RazorHoof

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Hey all, I've been lurking since January waiting for the new pros to come out, and just now registered to post. My dilemma:

I've been wanting a 13" because of the smaller size and (slightly) smaller price. I owned a 13" Aluminum Macbook (C2D, 2GB RAM, 2.26 CPU) which could NOT handle HD footage in Final Cut. (Big surprise right? Luckily it's not what I bought it for) Does anyone here know if the new high-end 13" or even the old high-end 13" could handle the video? I know the C2D doesn't help. Is the 4GB RAM the only thing that would help, or will the new NVIDIA GeForce 320M make a difference? (Trying to decide if a cheaper refurb 2.53 would work?)

I'm deathly afraid I'm going to buy one and find out it can't do the one thing I want it to. I know it's a much safer bet to go with one of the new 15" i5s, and that may be what I'll have to do... Thanks

RazorHoof

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
My old one wasn't a pro though, just a Macbook (but aluminum). I guess I just don't understand where the line is as far as CPU, RAM, Graphics are concerned. (What is sufficient for this sort of thing, and what isn't)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
My old one wasn't a pro though, just a Macbook (but aluminum). I guess I just don't understand where the line is as far as CPU, RAM, Graphics are concerned. (What is sufficient for this sort of thing, and what isn't)

The CPU isn't really faster, only something like 5% which makes no difference. RAM is the only thing that could do difference but it still should've worked somehow on your old one. Graphics are better but not that much that it would make noticeable difference.

Simply, you need faster CPU to work with HD video so 15" is your only choice

RazorHoof

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
thanks

Awesome, I was just reading a thread from last June where you were answering the same questions for someone else! Thanks, I get it now. I think I want the 15" hi-res anti-glare anyways... Now to start saving my money...

Mac-key

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2010
Alabama
Here's what I can tell you from my own experience.

I got a 13" MBP 4G RAM and 2.53 processor - now the old top of the line 13"

I do lots of work on FCP in HD and I've had no problems. Now I'm not editing big long projects of movies. I do more of TV style news reporting. So I'm maybe doing pieces that are 4-7 minutes at the longest. But it serves me very well.

I have had thoughts of moving to a 15" - 1) because I want a bigger screen, and 2) it's always good to have more processor power.

But overall I'm happy.

I'm exporting QT movie files out of FCP in probably anywhere from 5-15 minutes. I'd like it to be faster, but I ain't got the money right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.