Can 13" MBP handle Apple Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnd1, Sep 30, 2013.

1. johnd1 macrumors newbie

I bought in july and have the base model 13" MBP with only the ram upgraded to 8gb so i am new to Macs and of course understand that, YES, a MBP can run a thunderbolt display.

Was just wondering whether or not the ATD will put alot of stress on my Macbook Pro. It has the integrated graphics so not sure how much harder it would have to work to support the 27" ATD and if that will decrease its life span or if it will be completely fine.

Also, i know there are rumors that the ATD may be refreshed come October so if i decide to wait it out, will my 13" MBP be able to run the newer model fine as well?

I used the search tool but could only find threads with people using 15" or 17" MBP's.

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

3. johnd1, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

johnd1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Figured. Would it tax the system any? for example would there be any issue with lag or what not, say if i have several programs running?

4. joewillmott macrumors regular

This is my experience with a 13" 8GB Air and a 24" Apple Cinema Display connected through Thunderbolt:

Lag. A lot of lag. Regular surfing lags a bit, proper work stuff (flash/unity) lags a LOT.

Although the pro has a faster processor, the new displays are rumours to have a lot more pixels (not sure how much truth there is in this), but that would cause a lot more trouble for the machine.

No idea if I have been any help, just telling you what I have experienced.