Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Title pretty much says it all. I'm thinking about buying it refurb as a gift for someone and I'd need to know if it can run the latest iOS, or if not, what version of iOS can it run? And need to knowif it can download games geared for toddlers from the app store. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
No!
3rd Gen is as far back as you can go. It just won't install.
I think 3.1.3 is all you can get on it.

Last edited:

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Darn, thanks for the heads up. Is there an easy way to tell if a game will work properly on that version of iOS?

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Darn, thanks for the heads up. Is there an easy way to tell if a game will work properly on that version of iOS?

If you search for that app in either iTunes on your computer or the app store on a device, it should tell you the minimum iOS version requirements on the left side.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Oh, sure. I hadn't thought to check in iTunes on the computer. You're right. Thanks for the help.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
As said, unfortunately, no, you cant even get the last iOS version. Despite iOS 4 working on the same spec'd iPhone 3G, stupid Apple refuses to allow choice, and as such you are stuck on iOS 3. I would avoid getting that iPod if at all possible, as many even simple applications now require iOS4. I had a first gen myself, and even last year many apps kept updating to require iOS4. Now, even simple text based stuff, such as the USA today newspaper application, wont run on iOS3, meaning games very likely wont work. Also, the sidebar on iTunes saying what iOS version and what hardware the app will run on is frequently wrong. I have gotten several apps that say they work, and then they don't. Apparently, apple only has a few selections for what can be written on the page, but the selections don't always represent what the developers really want.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I don't want people to assume the 1st gen Touch is not a good buy just because it no longer runs the latest versions of IOS. I have a 1st gen Touch and I find it very useful. The 1st Gen came with the Wolfson audio chip which is generally considered the best for music. Even with OS 3 it still works perfectly well as a music player and is great for plugging into music docks or using in your car. If what you want is to listen to music then you can get them at a very good price and they do the job nicely.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Thanks WLS. My brother has a first gen ipod touch that he uses for Pandora and basically nothing else. He still has iOS 1. It's great for what he uses it for.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Thanks WLS. My brother has a first gen ipod touch that he uses for Pandora and basically nothing else. He still has iOS 1. It's great for what he uses it for.

That is not possible given the fact that iOS1 didn't have 3rd party app support.

Anyways, for music only, yes, the 1st gen is good. If you want to run any other apps though, I would forget it. I guarantee you will be disappointed.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Good call... Now that I think about it, it's my mom that uses Pandora on hers. Not sure which software version or iPod gen. Anyhow, I decided to pass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.