Can 2.4 MB with 4gb work with HD home videos?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 53x12, Mar 12, 2009.

1. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

Sorry I am a total newbie to Mac's from PC.

I am in the market for a new laptop and have decided to go with an Apple. My question is in regards to whether the 2.4 Ghz MB could edit home HD videos? I don't edit videos for a living, so it would only be done a few times a month; basically family videos and skiing/hiking trips. Could I get away with the MB, or do I need to consider moving up to the 15in MBP with the larger CPU (2.66/2.93) and the dual graphics card? I would prefer the 13in MB due to portability and then having a 24in ACD at home when I needed something larger. Otherwise the computer would be used for internet, Office, email...etc. Any thoughts?

2. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

i'm gonna go with a yes if you're going to be using imovie. if you're looking to do some large scale projects with final cut, then maybe bump up to the pro.

3. adrian.oconnor macrumors 6502

In iMovie, when you try and import high definition video on any laptop (including the MBP) it warns you that playback may be choppy because of the laptops' slower hard disk drives.

I haven't noticed any choppiness from my HD camcorder on my iMac or MBP (can't remember what model camcorder it is - a Panasonic something or other - it records 1080p), but they both have faster 7,200 rpm disks. I haven't tried it on my MB. I'll give it a go and, if I remember, post my results here.

You might also find that a good external (USB) drive is faster than a standard laptop disk, but I don't know for sure.

As for the memory, CPU and graphics card in the current MB line, they're all more than capable of editing HD video.

4. imapfsr macrumors regular

imapfsr

I have a Samsung SCHMX20 HD camcorder and iMovie works like a charm with it as far as ability and speed with no real lag that I can tell. As Adrian says, you do get that message but there are two sizes to choose from as far as file size? and as long as you choose the smaller then all is fine. I dont understand exactly what that size represents but I still end up with wicked HD movies and the editing abilities in iMovie is fantastic. Not sure if that helps but...

5. 53x12 thread starter macrumors 68000

53x12

So I don't need to worry about HD videos being too data intensive for the MB video card?

6. johndatserakis macrumors member

the only thing that could be a problem would be the lack of firewire.