Can 2 Airport Extreme work together?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by getyup, Aug 8, 2011.

1. getyup macrumors 6502

I have seen many people writing about using an Express to extend an Extreme, but can 1 Extreme extend another Extreme?

Basically I have a cable modem and Extreme downstairs, and want to increase performance upstairs, so thinking of getting a second Extreme. I assume it'll see the first one and boost the signal as a repeater?

Also, will the 4 ethernet physical ports on the back of the second model become active on the network on the second unit?

2. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Yes in the setting there is one called extend your wireless network.

yes they do

3. getyup thread starter macrumors 6502

Perfect, thanks for the fast reply. Much appreciation!

4. getyup thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'd seen this article, but want to make sure it's possible to connect them to each other using wifi, not ethernet. Basically I have a two story house and the network upstairs is a bit sketchy, so I'd like to have one downstairs connected to the cable modem, then one right above it upstairs, where it can pick up and re-broadcast the downstairs via wifi, not ethernet. This possible, yes?

5. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

I do beleive it's possible, but have heard from many on here that there is a possibility that doing so will cut your speed down. Hopefully someone with firsthand experience will chime in.

6. Prynce macrumors member

What about a single band 2008 time capsule and a 2011 dual band airport extreme, What band should I use on the single band router that won't interfere with the dual band? I see only 3 options for N, 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz or an option for B,G, and N. I have one device capable of only 2.4 ghz N only, and 2 devices capable of G (Wii and iPhone 3gs) only one of them I could plug directly into the time capsule on the 3rd floor. Optimally I would like to use the N 5 ghz on the time capsule on the 3rd floor and place the new dual band in the basement. I want to take advantage

Something I posted elsewhere may fill in the details....

"I have a older 2008 time capsule Airport, and am planning on getting one of the new Airport Dual Extreme, I want to place the new I have a basement where the main computer and networking equipment will be with a 1250 square foot main floor house and 3rd floor where the 4 bedrooms are. I can place the internet modem in the basement or the main floor (if I place it on the main floor I wont have a direct internet connection to my main system in the basement.) I am looking for optimum setup for 50 mbps of actual throughput wireless connection for my main system or a wired setup in the basement. JUst trying to figure out the best way to place the 2 devices. I thought about placing the single band time capsule on the top floor and the new dual band in the basement. Any thoughts or comments?"

P.S. I have a 50 Mbs/3Mbps wired internet connection from my ISP, would like to get the most out of it on a wireless.