Can 3G iPhone be used with any exclusive carrier?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iSaga, Jun 17, 2008.

1. iSaga macrumors regular

I have the original iPhone with AT&T service, I am moving to Norway in August. What I'm wondering is, can I purchase the 3G here in the states, activate it with AT&T until I leave, then cancel the AT&T service and then use the phone with Netcom in Norway. Does anyone know if that is possible or do I have to wait and purchase the phone when I get to Norway.

Thanks for the help.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I would check with att.com, since international accounts would probably handle that one. B/c if you move to Norway and take up residence, then you probably would qualify for something comparable to AT&T here in the states, avoiding international rates. :confused:

3. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

To answer your question, only if you manage unlock the iPhone prior to inserting a Norwegian Netcom SIM card can you use an iPhone purchased in the US. If and when you do return, you can use the same unlocked iPhone with ATT service again.

Also, if the iPhone's cellular radio supports the frequencies in use in Norway. (I don't know if they use the same freq's that UK/France/etc. use).

4. yode macrumors 6502

yea, wait until the iphone 3G gets unlocked, then it will work fine :)

5. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

So pretty much what they are saying is no. You can't use the iPhone with any exclusive carrier without unlocking it (which makes you able to use with any carrier).

You could just wait for Norway? =/