Can 3gs be relocked?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by coolmaverick, Sep 1, 2009.

1. coolmaverick macrumors newbie

I am buying an Iphone 3Gs unlocked phone from somebody. But since i would be using with att I want it to be relocked so that I retain the warranty.

Is it possible to relock the phone? Is it thro a s/w update ? If so, are there any risks?

Pls suggest..

Thanks

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Just do a restore in iTunes. Or you can do a DFU restore to be even more thorough. :)

3. coolmaverick thread starter macrumors newbie

Does it lock the phone back to att? I thought restore would only undo jailbreak only.

Also is there something I should check to make sure , the phone has not been damaged during unlock process?

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

The 3G S is unlocked with Ultrasn0w (its a very small <30kb file) that will be erased along with the restore. The only phone's unlock that could "possibly" survive a restore, is the 2G iPhone because we can actually modify it with bootneuter.

5. coolmaverick thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh ok, Thanks a lot.

Is there a risk of physical damage with unlock process? Since it has been unlocked by the seller, how do i make sure if the phone is not damaged ?

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

No

just do a restore you can go on youtube search DFU Iphone there allot of video's to show you how to put in DFU mode but you might looking into some of the advantages of Jailbreaking I am with AT&T but still I choose to be JB and unlocked I am even pretty happy with AT&T might I suggest you leave it as is till 3.1 decent chance it will come out then if you want to you can do it then with the new release.

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

There is nothing physically happening to the phone when you unlock it. It is all software based. Technically ultrasn0w is a boot daemon. :)

8. gauraverma macrumors newbie

hey did u restore the firmware on the unocked phone??? did it make it locked again??

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

It will if it is a 3G or 3G S phone, it won't be relocked if it is a 2G phone, and you restore it fresh and there is no modification to the baseband.

10. coolmaverick thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I got my iphone today, yet to explore my jb features. Any there any threads which discuss abt features in jb?

11. Macgic macrumors 6502

Um. I see a thread on the first page of the hacks forum.