Can 3rd parties access the GPS?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by StuMcBill, Sep 29, 2016.

1. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

I have my AW series 2, and was hoping to use runtastic as my run tracker, while using the onboard GPS and leaving my phone at home.

When I try and start a run while disconnected from my iPhone, it tells me it needs the iPhone for GPS signal.

Can 3rd party apps not access the GPS, or does runtastic just need to update their app?

Thanks

2. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

According to Apple during the event, they said that third party apps would have access to the GPS. Now, those third party apps need to be updated to take advantage of this. Contact the app maker on their feedback option to see if/when they will take advantage of the built-in GPS on the watch.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Not currently. Apple has been silent on when it will be coming. iSmoothRun was updated yesterday and in the notes indicated that native gps use was coming later this year. He's pretty on top of things so that indicates to me it's a delay on Apple's end, not the developers.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

[theory] Could be that Apple is working with Nike to get NRC GPS and reduced bugs ready for the Nike :apple:Watch release so it can be first out the gate and then allow 3ed party APIs.[/theory] Nike made a mess of NRC and since so many of it's engineering team has moved to Apple this could be part of the reason Nike struggles with NRC and needs Apple's help.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yeah, I agree with that. I've said in the past that my thought was the delay on the Nike watch version was on the software side, rather than the hardware.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It could be that punching holes in a Sports band takes weeks for the Apple artisan to do by hand. :D:D

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Heh. Seriously, I've tried the Nike band on at an Apple Store, and it's nicer than I expected. It somehow feels more supple than the regular Sports band, and the holes are spaced closer together, so it's more likely to find a hole that fits right. Currently, I'm in between holes on my Sports band -- one is too tight but the next one is too loose.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Just being sarcastic. ;) Seems all but certain the Nike Watch is held up because of the software and nothing to do with the hardware (bands).