Can 4GB 11.6 MBA only be bought direct from Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mazda 3s, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

See title. I see that MacMall has some steep discounts on the new MacBook Airs, but it only seems to apply to the baseline models.

Is the only way to get a MBA with a factory 4GB upgrade from Apple itself -- and thus having to pay full price instead of getting third-party retailer discounts?

2. Parrotlet macrumors member

You can buy the 2 GB version and I can use a hot air gun to solder on a 4 GB stick onto your logic drive. :)

3. Mazda 3s thread starter macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

Har Har Har :D

4. Parrotlet macrumors member

You saw thru my master plan of just keeping your laptop and pretending I never got it :(

5. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, I've seen German retailers selling 4GB models, though they call them BTOs, as they obviously ordered them that way from Apple.

7. drvelocity macrumors member

Macmall sells all of the configurations as well, look further down the page for a list, they are all discounted (or at least were a day ago). Don't forget the 3% discount on top of that, search Google!

8. Mazda 3s thread starter macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

9. wptarcher macrumors newbie

Those discounts aren't as good as my discounts for being a student, but 30 bucks doesn't seem like too much of a discount, plus ordering it from Apple will make it arrive faster.

MacMall did let me customize it with higher RAM. The only reason I could see someone ordering it from there is if they wanted a monitor that isn't the Apple monitor, wanted Windows pre-installed, or they couldn't find 30 bucks lying around or wait until payday.

10. Parrotlet macrumors member

Hey I forgot to tell you that I would pay for the shipping too :rolleyes:

11. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Just have someone buy you a 2gb version and pretend its a 4gb one.

12. ccsicecoke macrumors regular

There is extra 3% cashback by MrRebate. So eventually you save around $50 from using student discount. I wish I had ordered from MacMall. When I was placing the order, I didn't recall that MacMall takes custom configuration as well.

13. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Is this supposed to be humor? GMAB!