Can 4K TV replace 4K monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, May 1, 2018.

1. hajime macrumors 601

Hello, have been looking for a 40-45" 4K monitor for a year. Looks like monitors in this range all have some kind of issues. How come? For those who have been using 4K TV in this 40-45" size range, how is your experience? What are the pros and cons of using 4K TV instead? Is it better to get one with HDR and 120MHz?

I plan to mainly use it for programming, matlab, CAD, writing and reading pdfs perhaps with some gaming.

2. scottsdomain macrumors member

Yes, at least for me! I have a 55" 4k TV main monitor, and a 47" 1080p as a secondary monitor!

3. mroy16 macrumors regular

I have to ask - what viewing distance do you use for these enormous displays? I have a 21.5" external monitor at my home and work desks that I plug my 13" MBP into, and I find it to be quite comfortable. I don't want to be rolling around and straining my neck to see the entire screen, and I like the higher pixel density.

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

5. Dethklok macrumors member

Yes. I used a 42" 4K TV and I miss playing some games on it. I miss how much it takes up your vision and being able to see and shoot at tiny people easy. (I switched to a 21:9 monitor for the refresh rate)

6. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Theoretically speaking yes but as Dethklok mentioned, pay attention to the refresh rate if your applications are motion oriented.

7. Dethklok macrumors member

8. kohlson macrumors 68000

I am still reminded that people see things, well, differently. I have always had my monitors located beyond arm's length (and I have simian-like arms!). It's apparently not good or bad at this distance - my optometrist always asks how far my monitor is from my head, and works from there. I have friends who can't get their monitor close enough, and all but complain that the keyboard is in the way.

9. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

The answer is YES! No plan to go back to monitors again.

10. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

If you get a 4K TV to use as your computer's display, I'd advise against getting an OLED display, because static images (like your user interface) can cause it to burn in.