Can a 1 CPU Mac Pro Be Upgraded To 2 CPUs?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by capwkidd, Jan 29, 2009.

1. capwkidd macrumors newbie

Or does apple not give you one of the two CPU heat sinks, and perhaps other parts needed?

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

3. dophineh macrumors member

dophineh

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Well as the price of Mac Pro is almost the same as the retail price of its components it could be argued anyone buying a Mac Pro is paying that ;)

5. dophineh macrumors member

dophineh

but if ur upgrading an old mac why would u pay the price of a new processor?

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

They don't turn up on the used market very often (compared to other Xeons). The only real way to get them cheaper is eBay, and well that has it's own issues.

7. dophineh macrumors member

dophineh

you are making some wild assumptions. maybe the op has a single g5 for all we know ;)

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Nah I read his other posts where he talks about choosing between a 1 or 2 CPU Mac Pro before I replied :)

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

I haven't kept up with the pricing in the UK, but how does it compare to US pricing (how bad is it)?

At least here in the US, the second processor & sink only tack on $500USD. Everything else though, seems to be similar to other vendors, and not far off from retail. If you consider not having to buy the individual parts, build it yourself and support the system yourself a good thing, then this could be interpreted as the true savings. ;) :p