Can a 14 year-old get educational discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dannyboxer, Oct 30, 2008.

1. dannyboxer macrumors regular

dannyboxer

Hello I'm going to buy a iMac soon when they get updated.

Does anyone know if I can get money off the iMac because I am a student. I don't see any reason why not as I need a computer for school work just as much as a college student.

I could I suppose go and get my cousin's Id as she is a college student. However I would prefer if it was all in my own name and so I would prefer if I went out and bought it myself with my own educational discount.

I am going to go to a Apple store and buy it, not online and I am from the UK.

2. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

No you can't. When I was 14, I had to get my laptop at full price. No education discount when going to high school

3. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Just use the ID of a relative in higher education, that's what the Apple store tell people to do. And in fact everyone I know seems to have done the same (excluding me as I get a better discount elsewhere :p)

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

In the UK (which the OP said he's from) parents or guardians of students under 18 could get the standard education discount when buying for the student – the student themselves don’t able to buy themselves.

Having a quick look at the site:

To the OP, by the way, although the Apple Higher Education store (bigger discount and 3-year limited warranty thrown in) is mainly for universities, there are a few other education places like a couple of city academies – odds are, you won’t be going to one of these places, but worth a check.

5. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

In the UK you can get a discount if you are in any form of education.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Not in the US unless you are home schooled (for those in the US interested in the answer).

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I got it at 16 in the UK.

Just went on the edu store, paid with my debit card.

8. belvdr macrumors 601

I'm home-schooled by my wife every day. Does that count? ;) Seriously, though, I did not know that. Also, in the US, I don't think you can walk into an Apple Store and get the education discount either.

9. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

No, you can't. Apple student discounts.

You can only buy Apple products with an educational discount in the UK if you are;
    "a university student, lecturer or other staff member at a UK university"
    or
    "a college student over 18, lecturer or other staff member at a UK further education college"

10. belvdr macrumors 601

Well according to Apple's T&C's on that same page:

It is interesting they don't specify it literally in the T&C's but on the forms they do. My guess is you could point right to the T&C's and get it.

11. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Ah, okay. I've never heard of people at secondary school in the UK being given student IDs though.

12. iGary Guest

iGary

Yes, you can, but not on software.

You just need to be able to prove that you are a student ID, acceptance letter, class schedule, log inito school Web site, etc.).

That and a driver's license (they track your purchases via your ID#)

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the point of the college discount is because studnets are paying a sh*tload of money to go to college. the dscount is to help somewhat offset that

you need to be in college for the discount. sorry

14. belvdr macrumors 601

Read a few posts above. According to the T&C's, you only need to be a registered student. It doesn't specify what type of institution.

Besides, so they take off $50 from a $1,300 purchase (a whopping 3.8%). Not much of a discount if you ask me.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

not according to this page which states you must be a college student, faculty admin or staff member OR a k-12 teacher, fac admin or staff member. This is the US T&C by the way

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/education_routing?mco=MTIxODk0Nw

or more specifically
    http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespoliciesEdIndividual.html

and even more specifically, look below

from the US T&C
    higher education is university level, not middleschool/high school which is what the op is in

i agree, the discount is insignificant now with the new computers. a bummer for sure

edit: saw the op is from UK so my whole post is irrelevant unless from US. whoops lol

16. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

17. Igantius macrumors 65816

The OP said he was in the UK – so why quote the American T&Cs?

I mentioned in my previous post that in the UK, students certain city academies can get access the HE discount. In the UK, academies are secondary school for people up to the age of 18.

As I also said in the UK, parents or guardians for students under the age of 18 can buy a Mac on behalf of their child/ward and get the regular education discount.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

my mistake. but if anyone was wondering about the US situation, well there ya go lol

19. dannyboxer thread starter macrumors regular

dannyboxer

I'm confused.:confused:
    Am I right in thinking that if my mum comes with me to the apple store and she buys it with her card and stuff will I get the discount?

20. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

If she works as a teacher/in education or you have a student ID card then I would have thought so. Might be worth ringing up Apple to see if you're eligible for the discount and if so what you need to bring.

21. dannyboxer thread starter macrumors regular

dannyboxer

Ah no my mum is not a teacher. My auntie used to be one though, would she still have her ID card would you think? And if so would it still be valid?

22. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

I've no idea if your Auntie still has her ID card, why don't you ask her? ;) Possibly, it depends how long ago she used to work and how careful the folks at the Apple store are with checking dates on it. Like I said, you should ring Apple up and find out from them if you're eligible for the discount.

23. dannyboxer thread starter macrumors regular

dannyboxer

LOL ok.

24. Igantius macrumors 65816

According to that snippet I quoted from the Apple website, any parent can get a discount when buying for their child.

Saw, you edited your post…. As for making a mistake, well it is a forum ;)

25. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

If you live near an Apple Store, just drop in and if they refuse, see if you can't get a manager to pull strings if you present your case well enough.

Not in Scotland - we go to University for free :D