Can a 160GB HDD be put in a 5th Gen iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Jack Flash, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Given that the enclosure sizes for the 60/80GB 5th Gen is larger than the current 160GB, could the larger drive be installed in an older iPod?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Was thinking about this this afternoon, but assuming that Apple are using Toshiba drives, then I guess the new 160gb drive is the MK1626GCB.

And that drive has a different interface from the older iPod models — in this case, CE-ATA — according to this piece.

So, my guess is not. My last attempts at swapping a hard-drive in an iPod worked but left the case damaged. I'm not going to try it with my 5.5g 80gb one; I'd rather sell it and get a new one I think.

3. Jack Flash thread starter macrumors 65816

Given the Classic's poor performance it seemed like a better upgrade option.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm assuming you mean Coverflow performance. That might be due in part to the slower interface speed of these new drives.

Anyway, it seems like the answer is 'no' due to not being PATA drives. However, if another manufacturer releases a PATA 1.8" drive with the capacity, then it might be worth considering for those who feel a little brave.

5. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Well if that drive does not work, you can always get a 1.8in 100gig or 120gig drive that works and uses the same connector.

6. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

How well does CoverFlow run on your current iPod?:rolleyes:

7. Jack Flash thread starter macrumors 65816

How well does the Classic run, period?

From everything I've read it's choppy in all areas.