Can a 2014 15" MBP handle 4k video?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mossme89, Apr 8, 2017.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

I have a 15" mid 2014 MacBook Pro with the Intel Iris GPU. I'm having a tough time editing 4k video, specifically that taken with an iPhone. QuickTime chokes on it, and iMovie is super laggy when trying to edit it. Is my computer even powerful enough to view and edit 4k video? Not worried about the Cpu but the gpu.

2. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

I have a 2014 2.8/16gb with dGPU 750M for video editing at work. Frankly, I struggle with 4k video in Premiere Pro. It does get the job done, but it's no match for my new 2016 which breezes through the work.

What's surprising is you're just working with H.264 iPhone video...an iPad can play/edit that stuff. Feel like something else is going on.

3. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

4. Patcell macrumors 6502

You may have this figured out by now, but my assumption would be that something else is going on... I also have a mid-2014 15" and I routinely edit 4K video shot on my iPhone 7 in iMovie with no perceptible lag. I do have the GT 750M discrete GPU, but I seriously doubt that would be the limiting factor. I have tried using GFXCardStatus to disable the discrete card and iMovie still seems pretty smooth. Playback may be a bit choppy, but definitely usable.

Are you editing from internal or external storage?