can a 6-core be purchased in a retail store?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lucidmedia, Aug 10, 2010.

1. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

Is there any possibility of buying the 6-core mac pro in an apple retail store? Or is it a BTO that can only be done online? Can you order a machine and have it delivered to a mac retail store for pickup?

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'm going to have to guess and say yes but depending on your local Apple store.

I know Apple always sell the high end stuff along with the base models so I think the 6-core should be available at most Apple stores.

I would think the 2.8GHz QUAD (base model) and the 3.33GHz 6 core to be available but not the 3.2GHz QUAD.

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

1. The best thing to do is to call your local Apple Store and ask what they stock.

2. Apple Stores will take BTO orders for delivery to the store as far as I know.

4. skiffx macrumors 6502a

I spoke to a rep in a store, they will basically start getting them about the same time as when the first BTO deliveries will start rolling in.

5. gatti macrumors newbie

Two Apple places (in New Jersey, USA), where I've spoken to the sales people, mentioned that they never get any models beyond the "base" level of the single and dual processor Mac Pro towers.

However, I guess that can always be on a per store basis.

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

If I remember right the only retail boxed systems have been a 2006 2.66GHz model, 2007 3GHz 8-core that had like two super drives and a hard drive upgrade, 2008 2.8GHz 8-core, 2008 3.2GHz model with the 8800GT (the config that was in the refurb store for a year), and just the two base models in 2009.

7. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

since mac pro's are so customizable, not many units are taken in by the store. likely only for display.

yes, but what's the point of that? order it yourself and get it to your own doorstep.

8. Ryan P macrumors regular

Could be quite useful for me as I live overseas and it is almost half the price for me to buy an Apple product while in the US. Even if I declare it and pay duty when I return it is still 25-40% cheaper.

Neither Apple nor their resellers will ship overseas. My only other option seems to be to ship it to an exporter in the US which can be quite complicated.

As an example, the local price for me, for a 24" Display $1422 US cough... price for me to purchase an air ticket to Miami this weekend buy it and pay import duty on my return is $1258.....sigh.

9. snouter macrumors 6502a

so all my hood neighbors can see that I just got a new Mac Pro and kick my door down when I'm not at home? No thanks, I'd rather pick it up from the Apple Store and smuggle it into the house.

Old Fourth Ward 4Lyfe!

10. lucidmedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

tax reasons

11. skiffx macrumors 6502a

If you are talking about sales tax, then I cant imagine adjacent states having such large of a discrepancy that it would merit a drive/tolls/etc ?

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

It would be for me, as I can get it to my door @ 9.9% tax rate, or drive an hour for 5%. On a $5000 machine, the drive saves $230 (figuring in the gas).

But this is more likely an exception than the norm.

The other major reason for using the store is theft (i.e. can't be home during the delivery time, or a bad neighborhood).

13. shokunin macrumors regular

Hmm.. State of Washington 9%, Oregon 0%.