Can a 9800GX2 runs on mac pro under windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by aliot, Jul 23, 2008.

1. aliot macrumors member

hello guys I'm planing to buy a 9800GX2 for my mac pro.As we know mac pro only has 2 small 6pin on logic board.There's no way to pull those 2 4pin to your video card unless you don't close your case.
    According to some old post,mac pro has at least 700W ouput.I believe that's more than enough for a 9800 GX2.Can I use a 9800GX2 on my mac pro?
    thx

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

You can buy the cables to power the graphics card from a few places. ATI has them I believe. I wouldn't recommend buying the 9800GX2 though, its already outdated technology and ATI/nVidia will be bringing out new dual-powered graphics cards based on their GTX 280 and 4870 chips. The GTX 280 already outperforms the 9800 GX2 most of the time. For the best value for money though, you might want to consider moving your current Mac Pro OS X graphics card to one of the slower ports and then getting two 4850s (well you could get two 4870s but then you'd be two power sockets short on your mobo) and running them in Crossfire.
    Two 4850s are about the same as one GTX 280 but with quite a big saving.

Edit: These are the power cables you need to use the power sockets on the Mac Pro's logic board: http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=3280778

The 4870 X2's are already being previewed by reviewers now so they should be on the market soon. One of those would give you the best Windows gaming performance available on a Mac Pro for a good while yet (without having to magically produce more power connectors). ATI will always have the edge in Mac Pros imo simply because you can use crossfire while nVidia blocks you from using SLI.

3. aliot thread starter macrumors member

thanks,Spanky.I'm not a hardware guy,but I find a 9800GX2 is on sale for only 320CAD after MIR.So..I think that's a good deal though a HD4870 just for 250CAD.