Can a Bad LCD cause a Macbook to Not Boot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bradcsti, Mar 14, 2010.

1. bradcsti macrumors newbie

Hey I have an original macbook air, that I was given that had a broken hinge and screen. I bought new hinges, a new LVDS cable, and a new LCD (the correct part number LCD). After replacing all of these parts, I am still left with a non-functional macbook.

The computer will not boot up fully into snow leapord as long as the new LCD is plugged into the Logic board. When powered up, the screen will turn white/gray, make the 'bong' sound, then load a garbled up version of the wallpaper image, and then freeze and not load the dock, status bar, or anything else.

If I unplug the LVDS cable from either the Logic board or the LCD, and plug the computer into an external monitor, it will boot right up into OS X and is fully functional.

Because of this, I ordered a new Logic Board, (Used, but tested and guaranteed to be working) and installed that, but it changed nothing. I have tried every holding down every button combination while booting up to no avail, as well...

So now i am pretty much stumped as to what to do next, besides throw this thing out of the closest window. Does anyone know if a faulty LCD screen can cause OS X to not be able to boot up? Does os x get any information from the LCD when it is booting up that can cause the system to lock up and never complete the boot process?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    -brad

2. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I have never encountered this before, but I have encountered a lot of people getting faulty crap when buying their own replacement macbook air LCDs. I have not heard about this with any other models but the air thus far.

What was wrong with the old LVDS cable?

3. bradcsti thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the Reply!!

the original LVDS cable got kinda chopped in half from one of the hinges being broken. Where the cable went through the hinge it cut through mostly all of the small wires running through the LVDS cable. I ordered a new cable from Powerbook Medic, which did not work. The LCD would just stay black and seemed to not receive a signal when the computer was booted up. That cable had the right configuration, but the connectors were not exactly the same as the original. It plugged in the the lcd and the logic board fine, but if you looked closely at the connectors you could tell they were a little bit different from the original cable.

I then ordered a LVDS cable off of Ebay that looked identical to the original in the picture posted in the ad. When I recieved it, it looks identical the the original cable. And now the screen is lighting up, and receiving some sort of signal, but the computer will still not fully boot up, and the picture is still all garbled up on the LCD.

I am completely stumped...

4. roy1957 macrumors newbie

Macbook air display issues

I am having similar issues with a macbook air - after replacing broken hinges and severed LVDS and microphone cables, the macbook boots up to a white screen and operating the keyboard causes display to change to black and white screen with vertical lines. Fortunately, i did not replace the logic board as some suggested - after joining this forum and finding some are having similar problems after changing the logic board.
    Anyone discovered a fix for this problem?