Can a base MBA run Windows ok?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by L T, Feb 21, 2014.

1. L T macrumors 6502

L T

So I have the base 2013 13inch MacBook air, 4GB RAM 128GB storage and the 1.3GHZ i5

I am going to be doing an IT apprenticeship at work and looking at it its all going to be based around windows machines.

I really don't want to go back to a windows laptop so was wondering how well Windows run in boot camp on my base MBA. Or would I be better off selling this MBA and getting a MacBook Pro to bootcamp windows on.

Or even just a Windows laptop?

Thanks

2. iHackPro macrumors regular

Yes, you'll be able to run Windows just fine. Windows 8.1 is pretty zippy to me on my Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM.

3. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

SSD space will be tight since you only have 128GB SSD. Other than that, your MBA will run Windows well.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You shouldn't have any problems with it
    I ran Windows 7 on my MBA virtually with VMware Fusion and did fine

5. L T thread starter macrumors 6502

L T

Thanks guys, was thinking about buying an external 128GB SSD to put Windows on

6. Riker88 macrumors newbie

This is different to the title of this thread. How will you be connecting the external SSD to the MBA? It will be slower than running Windows installed on the internal SSD drive

7. Dweez, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

As has been stated above, windows will run fine on your config. Disk space may very well become an issue, that would be my only concern.

FWIW I use a Crucial M4 SSD with a Thunderbolt adapter as an additional external device to run VMs from on my MBP and MBA, and performance wise it rocks. Nowhere near as fast as internal SSD (Samsung 840 EVO in MBP) or flash storage (MBA), but fast enough to run VMs with no noticeable performance hit.

8. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Consider running windows on the internal SSD< and use a PNY STOREdge 128GB SD card for file storage. $79 to double your storage.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yes but the windows image is big remember that.