Can a Bento user please check something for me?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Peter Harrison, May 12, 2010.

1. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

I've been told by Filemaker staff that Bento for iPad doesn't support languages other than English. The Mac version does. They told me that the iPad app will have no problems showing other languages when the datebase has been created on the Mac... but the iPad app doesn't allow non-English input.

They know best... but I must admit I find it hard to believe. Does Bento use a custom keyboard or something? Maybe the titles of the entries have to be in English, but can you really not start typing with an International keyboard when filling in the details in an entry?

I know they've told me it won't work, but I'd really appreciate it if one of you could test it out for me. Could you please activate the Japanese keyboard and try inputing some words into an entry on Bento for iPad? I believe the iPad only has the QWERTY Japanese keyboard, but that should be good enough. Just type some things like kyou, nihongo, sukkotorando and just get some characters in there. If you type these words, it will autosuggest Japanese words using kanji, hiragana and katakana characters. I know Bento is very fairly priced, but if it doesn't do what I need it to do then it will be a waste of money for me.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate the help!

2. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

It works

I just saw your message and tried this. I had no problems using the Japanese keyboard in Bento to fill in information in the database. Just as you said it began suggesting kanji and hiragana characters and bento displayed them properly.

I don't know what the support people are telling you but you could build an entire database on the iPad in Japanese if you wanted.

I can attach a screenshot if you need.

Hope this helps!

3. Peter Harrison thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

Thanks a lot for checking for me. I really appreciate the help. Don't worry about the pics. I guess they mean it isn't supported, in the sense that they can't guarantee all the features will work, and they maybe won't provide tech support if I run into problems using International keyboard. They probably just haven't fully tested it with all the different languages.

This is excellent, and I'm definitely going to purchase it. Thanks again.

4. tbob32 macrumors newbie

tbob32