Can a carrier lock a sim-free phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maverick22, Sep 24, 2017.

1. maverick22, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017

maverick22 macrumors 6502

I still owe $500 on a 7 plus. My sister in law wants to buy it. I want to switch to ATT and use a sim-free 8 plus/X on it.

Say I order the sim-free phone now, get it in a few days, put my sim from my "unpaid for/locked" T-Mobile phone into the new sim-free phone, will the new phone become locked ?

Makes me think of another question: my wife's old 6plus was paid off long before we joined Tmobile. Is it still unlocked?

I haven't dealt with this stuff enough. Thanks.

2. Shadowbech macrumors 601

No to your first question. If you buy a sim free model, it will stay unlocked permanently.*

As for the 2nd question, where did she get the 6 Plus and what carrier? If it's already paid off and not under any obligation, you can request an unlock and once approved it will be unlocked.

*This is if you buy it through Apple. I believe other retailer like Best Buy and Target have the policy to lock it once activated on a certain carrier (eg. AT&T). But in that case, you may want to activate it with a Verizon sim card first so that it will stay unlocked.

3. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

SIM locks are tied to the phone, not the SIM.

4. maverick22 thread starter macrumors 6502

It was originally an AT&T phone. We paid it off before we even switched to T-Mobile. It was unlocked, and should be unless T-Mobile did something when we put their sim in.

Thanks