Can a case affect battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Alex225, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Alex225 macrumors regular

Now this may be coincidence or just nonsense and I'm sure that someone can confirm either way with technical reasoning but here's my question.

Could a highly protective case affect the battery life of my iPhone 6?

The reason I ask is that as of yesterday I ditched my Griffin Survivor case on my iPhone 6 and opted for a thinner, much more lightweight cover clear cover.

I used my 6 on the train as I always do, so it gets about 30 minutes of me on Facebook, texting, WhatsApp, news etc.

Usually this would bring my old iPhone 5 down to about 75% battery life and I found the 6 went down to about 85% so an improvement I was happy enough with. Well this morning, since it is Survivor-less the battery had only dropped 4-5%.

This may be coincidental and like I say someone will no doubt be able to confirm technically but I wondered if the Survivor case affected the temperature of the phone which in turn caused the battery to drain quicker?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, an external case cannot affect battery performance. I suppose the possible exception is metal cases that degrade the signal performance that cause the LTE radio to work harder but I don't think that happens for the most part.

3. Alex225 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks mate, I wasn't sure if it could be temperature related. That's the only thing I could think as the battery life was significantly better today than yesterday and I haven't changed anything in terms of settings on the device.

Either way, I'm not complaining haha :)