Can a case cause screen interference?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by follicle, Nov 21, 2010.

1. follicle macrumors newbie

I recently had to have my iPhone 3GS replaced by Apple. Here's the story:

I got a 3GS about a month and a half ago. I bought a Griffin Elan Form Graphite case for it about three weeks in. About a week with the new case, a purplish discoloration appeared on the sides of the screen when I woke the phone up. The discoloration lasted for a few seconds and then faded away. Sometimes the discoloration was pretty bad and other times subtle. In any case, I figured I would take it to an Apple store. After looking over it, they gave me a new phone.

I've had the new phone now for about three weeks and I would like to put the old case back on, but I can't shake the feeling that the case had something to do with the screen going bad. At the same time, I feel like it's impossible. The case is made completely out of plastic, snaps on easily, and has no history of causing such an issue (after looking at online reviews). I just thought it was odd that the screen issues began just a week after getting the new case.

I just don't want to put the case on just to develop the same issue and have to travel two hours back to the Apple store (who may or may not give me another replacement). To be honest, I think I lucked out the first time. It's a great case, but I'm worried it's causing the issue.

Any insights? Could a case cause such a problem or was it simply a hardware issue?

Thanks!

2. Anapplecsr macrumors newbie

Unless the case has magnets or is somehow causing it to overheat, no.