Can a case increase heat - MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by accentaudio, Sep 25, 2016.

1. accentaudio macrumors 6502

accentaudio

I know this has been asked before, but the answers were not conclusive and very vague. So does anyone know if putting a 2015 rMBP in a snap on rubberized/plastic case, like the ones by Incase can cause the machine to heat up more than without one? Thanks in advance everyone!

2. leman macrumors 604

I didn't see any tests done on this subject, but my guess would be 'yes', as it prevents the aluminium from dissipating the heat. The impact won't be to bad though, as most of the heat is still expelled via the air exhausts.

3. accentaudio thread starter macrumors 6502

accentaudio

I am surprised there isn't any test data on this either. Well I suppose I can test it out myself and see. I really want to keep my machine free from dents and scratches though, so I hate to go without a case.

4. accentaudio thread starter macrumors 6502

accentaudio

5. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I have kept my machine free from dents/scratches and I never used a case since 2011. Only a sleeve when I carry it in my bag. It's safe to assume that any case will increase the temperature because it blocks the airflow of the body which the MBP uses to reduce heat. I don't think it really matter if there is a test or not because at the end of the day, it's all about comprises and everyone is different.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Cases cause more scratches than they protect from, bits of grit get inbetween the case and the computer and scratch them up. And what's the point of a spotless computer you never see because it's covered in scratched up plastic.

7. jerryk, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016

jerryk macrumors 68020

8. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Yes and no, depends on how hard you run your computer and how bulky the case is on your computer.

Your MacBook Pro is designed to dissipate heat through the aluminum by means of conduction teamed with the convection methods used with the fans and heat sinks located in channels throughout the body of the computer.

Without going deep into Fourier's Law the general idea is that the fans pull air from intake located at the hinge (the black bar) on the back of the clamshell. If you look at the back of your computer you'll notice that the black bar is near flush when the computer is shut, and a small slit appears opening the passage for airflow when the lid is open. You'll also notice along the sides 3 small slits. These are the intakes for air flow which draw cool air in to draw the heat away from the components, similar to a strong gust of cool wind on a hot day. The heated air is then pushed out through the small slit in the back of the MacBook.

If it's run hard, the aluminum casing draws heat away from the components that it is connected to. Think of it as one big heat sink cooled by the room you are sitting in. It doesn't have as great of an effect as the fans inside, but it can lower the temperature a few degrees. In order for the process to work, the laptop needs to be sitting on a flat surface on it's rubber feet so air can pass under the computer. The airflow towards the vents help pull air under the device, it's the same thing as standing near a road and when a large truck passes you, you drift towards the direction the truck was going.

I wouldn't worry too much about cooling by conduction (aluminum body) as I would convection (fans) but make sure that your case does not block off the vents (including the one that snaps on the top).

In terms of case protection, dirt will get in between the hard case and the aluminum and it will leave dirty scratches in the aluminum. My suggestion would be to get a neoprene case for travel and leave it at that.

When it comes to cases in general:
    Style
    Protection
    Cost

Now pick two.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2016 ---
    If you are interested in reading about laws, another good one is Newton's law of cooling. And may more accurately describe how the aluminum dissipates the heat.