Can A Core Duo MacBook's logic board be replaced with a c2d?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr. Bubbles, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Mr. Bubbles macrumors member

Mr. Bubbles

I want to buy a core duo macbook (first gen) that suffers from the notorious random shutdown syndrome for $150. For the parts alone, it's well worth the money, but my question is, if I bought a core 2 duo logic board, would it fit in its case and be compatible with the rest of the components cd drive HD etc.?
    I hope that at least someone has tried something like this before or at least knows the answer. Please let me know if you have experience with this! Thanks!

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I do not know the answer, but I suspect it's "no."

However, I must ask - why is this mac having the random shutdown issues? That was fixed with a firmware update a loooong time ago.

3. Mr. Bubbles thread starter macrumors member

Mr. Bubbles

Apparently the firmware didn't solve the problem for everyone or something. Either way, he got smart all the sudden and realized he could get a lot more than 150 for his macbook on ebay lol.

4. Animalk macrumors 6502

The shutdown was due to the heat-sink coming in contact with another component. I forget the details to be honest. I remember being told its a 2min solder fix once the logic board is exposed.

5. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

You can replace the Core Duo logic board with a Core 2 Duo, however you would need to replace the heatsink / fan as well, otherwise it will just run at max speed (and loudness) constantly.

6. tlundkvi macrumors newbie

But otherwise, will the keyboard, screen etc. internal connectors work "as is" without any modification?

7. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Probably. The C2D was a drop-in upgrade from the CD, so I dont see why they would have changed a lot of connectors around. Regardless, all the internal components (like keyboard, trackpad, iSight, etc) use USB:

Attached Files:

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You could place it in but whether or not you can mount it, attach the heat pipe etc.. would depend on the logic-board's layout. And whether or not all the ports in the exact same position... I know on one of the systems, they didn't have a fireware800 port and all the new ones does.

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Ok on a similar vain i have a old core dual MBP knocking around could the logic board on that be replaced for
    a core2dual one ?

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Again, it would depend on the internal mounting holes... if you have both systems and part laying about and you have time.. why not give it a try and take some photos to document your experiment?

The MBP case consists of three sections... The external aluminium case, the inner skeleton and logic board mounting holes, the floating heat-sink/heat pipe. At a guess, knowing Apple, I bet they keep the external aluminium case layout the same but change the inner skeleton to match the new design logic board and design a heat-sink/heat pipe to match.

11. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Ok thanks for the tips, i don't have a core2dual logic board handy so would have to source that,its for a 17''
    so i'm guessing it could be a few £££ and maybe not worth the risk of it not fitting as i keep the coredual for
    a spare so wouldn't want to screw it up

12. tlundkvi macrumors newbie

Maybe the performance benefit is not worth the risk (although the parts cost the same) of ending up to replace all heatsinks etc.

13. tlundkvi macrumors newbie

OK, checking the other posts it's the heatsinks+related that are risky. But can anyone confirm I can replace the 1.83GHz system for the fastest 1st gen CD I can find (2.0 GHz probably)? It will still be cheaper than scrapping it (about 200-300 USD). Was mainly for C2D for the 4GB RAM support.

BTW, called an authorized Mac repair today:

- They are not allowed to sell parts "to-go"

- They are not allowed to update parts for faster ones, even if it is a "100% customer pays" project

- Their contract with Apple is at risk if they do not conform

14. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

yer your probably right oh well

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would also have to ask is how will you get the CPUs?

16. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Forget about getting any parts for any modern apple system.

Apple keeps a very tight control over their parts. The logic board would probably be almost as much as a new machine anyway (judging from other parts prices).

Unlike the PC world, it's just not an option.

17. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

isn't that soldered onto the logic board?

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Not when you buy the logic board separately, unless the OP wants to pay like $700 for it! At that price, it's more worthwhile to buy a new low end MB. At least you get warranty too!

19. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Ah now i gotcha,like i said in my earlier post i have a coredual MBP i keep as a spare,so was hoping
    i could just bung in a core2dual logic board for a instant upgrade,and thought the CPU's come with
    a new board,looks like apples got ya by the short & curly's then

20. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i work at one and i agree. We would not do the above. #2 is debatable, something like a HD can be upgraded. But upgrading to a faster logic board/CPU is different.

As for going from CD to C2D on a MBP, remember there's an extra FW800 port that you need to consider. Also, Apple has the tendency to switch stuff around and make small modifications to the logic board as revisions are made. If anyone's worked on an iBook you would know. Unless someone here can actually link to substantial proof then I'd be cautious.

21. tlundkvi macrumors newbie

I was gonna get a 3rd party refurbished/new/taken from scrapped system. They are quite reasonably priced considering they come with a CPU.

22. Jabberwocky246 macrumors member

This is certainly a doable project (upgrading from a Core Duo to a Core 2 Duo logic board). There are a few gotchas, however.

1) The heatsink/fan assembly has different connectors. The Core Duo thermal sensor connectors are thicker and not compatible with a Core 2 board.

2) There are two different types of battery connectors, one is for Energy Star compliant boards, one is for non-ES boards. I'm not sure where the change-over occurred, but it may be that it coincided with the change to Core 2.

3) The Airport card is different. Core Duo boards have two connectors while Core 2 boards have three. This corresponds to the differing number of antennas. A Core Duo Airport card should work in a Core 2 Duo logic board as long as you don't change the display (which is where the antennas run).

Good luck.

23. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

Buy the Random Shutdown Syndrom MBP and fix it yourself.
    It has nothing to do with soldering, as the person above mentioned. Just move the piece of tape that tapes down the thermal sensor wire to the heatsink from ABOVE the wire to BELOW the wire.

Fixes the problem easily.

Something Apple wanted to charge me $1100 to do.

24. pmbooks macrumors regular

pmbooks

I've been considering resurrecting an old MBP that had this issue and wonder where to find more details on this fix. If I understand correctly, the tape should NOT be holding down the sensor wire to the heatsink? I've done some internal work, and think I can tackle this (before sending it off to have a logicboard replaced when it might not need it), but want to feel confident I can do it correctly.

Thank in advance for any assistance! Paul

25. bubbleboy450 macrumors newbie

Yes, it can be done if...

When my black 13" core2Duo board burned out, I replaced it with a plain coreDuo board ($800 to replace it with a core2duo! no thank you)

A couple things to watch out for are that the fan headers are different. If I remember right, one had a 3 pin, while the new one had a 4 pin connector. I had to remove the plastic connectors and solder the fan wires to the board, but it worked perfectly (including the rpm sensor).

Other issue I encountered was that when I closed the lid, it would not automatically go to sleep. The reason is that the reed sensor that tells when the lid is shut is a tiny bit different. I had to buy the older 'non-energy star compliant' hard drive /reed sensor here to fix that. The laptop has worked for 18 months since with out a single incident.