Can a Cyberpower UPS be setup to run a script at shutdown?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gnomeisland, May 28, 2012.

1. gnomeisland macrumors 6502

I'm looking for a UPS and Cyberpower seems to have the best price for true sine wave units (important for future compatibility and because I do audio work). However, I need to safely shut down my Mac and my NAS if I lose power. I know Cyberpower will play nice with the Mac but Cyberpower doesn't have native drivers for my Solaris-based NAS. I could set up a script to run on my Mac but the Cyberpower documentation is inconclusive if that can be done.

Any one here have experience or know of a work around?

2. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

I think they may have an OSX UPS configuration, perhaps accessible via Energy Saver. Energy Saver panel. I'd have a quick chat with them and determine how to get OSX support for the NAS. Can't you get the NAS shutdown you need via OSX?

3. -jeffB macrumors newbie

I can't speak to the original question, but my family bought several CyberPower UPSes on the basis of price, and we regretted the decision.

I don't remember the model numbers, but we got two of the larger units (1000VA range) and one smaller (450VA?). In every case, the units started acting up right around one year of age -- basically, they wouldn't reliably hold through even a short power drop.

We had much better luck with old university-surplus APC units.

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

I experienced the same mistake with them.

5. gnomeisland thread starter macrumors 6502

I believe I can but I would need to create some kind of script to send the right command to the NAS. It doesn't look like the Cyberpower software for Mac supports running a script before shutdown. It seems like something people would commonly want to do so I wondered if anyone had any experience developing a work around.

The fact that Cyberpower works with the Energy Saver control panel is very simple and straight-forward but it limits your options. I think I'd rather having a utility I could customize.

----------

Hmm... that's discouraging. I have not problem buying used/surplus but the issue with APC units is many of them (except their VERY expensive line it seems) provide only approximations of sine waves which is a no go for me. Older units (as far as I can determine) also have this problem so a surplus unit is questionable.