Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
So ever since the big redesign of iOS 7 I have noticed quite a few bugs, and even more with iOS 8. So I've finally decided to share them and hope a developer can report them so they get solved. Apple are worrying me lately, OS X seems to be as good as ever. I'm very impressed with Yosemite, but iOS seems to be getting more buggy by ever major release.

Here we go...

- The volume scrub in Control Centre and the lock screen, sometimes the dash on the audio timeline is large other times it's small. I presume it should be big all the time.

- When you rotate a video playing in Safari on the iPhone 6, the video for a split second sticks in the corner of the screen before centring.

- Reachability doesn't work all the time, you sometimes need to turn your phone on and off for it to start working again.

- Notifications can get stuck on top of the screen, you can't swipe them away. Requiring you to press the home button for them to vanish.

- When scrolling through your music library, it's now choppy and not smooth at all.

- When you go on tab view in Safari on iPhone, the top of the tab where the site name is flickers at times.

- When the iPhone 6 is under heavy load, music can skip.

- Some pop up notifications, such as the one when you disable Find my iPhone, haven't been updated for iOS 7.

And finally, my most hated bug and I've never seen it mentioned anywhere...

- On the new iOS 7/8 UI, the transparency effect for most of the UI is buggy. For example, if you open Safari and scroll the page you can see the web content glide under the address bar, but the blurred colours flicker. It doesn't look smooth like it does in the iOS 7 video on Apple.com or like it does on Yosemite. The content seems to "jump" to the edge of the screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
So ever since the big redesign of iOS 7 I have noticed quite a few bugs, and with iOS 8 even more so I've finally decided to share them and hope a developer can report them so they get solved. Apple are worrying me lately, OS X seems to be as good as ever. I'm very impressed with Yosemite, but iOS seems to be getting more buggy by ever major release.

Here we go...

- The volume scrub in Control Centre and the lock screen, sometimes the dash on the audio timeline is large other times it's small. I presume it should be big all the time.

- When you rotate a video playing in Safari on the iPhone 6, the video for a split second sticks in the corner of the screen before centring.

- Reachability doesn't work all the time, you sometimes need to turn your phone on and off for it to start working again.

- Notifications can get stuck on top of the screen, you can't swipe them away. Requiring you to press the home button for them to vanish.

- When scrolling through your music library, it's now choppy and not smooth at all.

- When you go on tab view in Safari on iPhone, the top of the tap where the site name is flickers at times.

- When the iPhone 6 is under heavy load, music can skip.

And finally, my most hated bug and I've never seen it mentioned anywhere...

- On the new iOS 7/8 UI, the transparency effect for most of the UI is buggy. For example, if you open Safari and scroll the page you can see the web content glide under the address bar, but the blurred colours flicker. It doesn't look like it does the in iOS 7 video on Apple.com or like it does on Yosemite. The content seems to "jump" to the edge of the screen.

I will get right on that for you.....:apple:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Some I've noticed:

- On iPad 2, iOS 8.0.2, when you type a multi line message in iMessage the text box resizes and the content pane behind the keyboard becomes covered by the keyboard. This does not right itself and instead it means that the keyboard now partially covers the content pane until you drag the keyboard to a different position so that the content pane re-aligns. This only happens when using a floating, split keyboard.

- Toggling the 'frequent locations' option in Settings > privacy > location services > system services > frequent locations and then hitting the 'back' button crashes the settings app 100% of the time on both iPhone 5s and iPad 2 (and probably others).

- When opening a third party keyboard, the keyboard covers the content pane of apps and does not automatically scroll like it does with the stock keyboard.

- Viewing images in the iPad 2 in iMessage makes the keyboard disappear and you need to close the app in the multitasking tray to get it to re-appear.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Not sure if this explains what you're seeing but fyi scrubbing from control centre or lock screen is only available for Music and maybe other stock apps but not 3rd party apps for example spotify.

It's usually big when you can move it, small when you can't

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
HA, I think this is funny...everyone wants there own thread to report problems ASAP. :apple:

So many problems with iOS 8 and so little time to fix them. I predict Apple to have it just about all fixed in about 6-8 months.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
HA, I think this is funny...everyone wants there own thread to report problems ASAP. :apple:

So many problems with iOS 8 and so little time to fix them. I predict Apple to have it just about all fixed in about 6-8 months.

True. We'll have about 8 months of a beta period, followed by a fairly stable iOS. After 4 months of that, we'll then start all over. I guess this is the reward we get if we buy a new phone each year.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
True. We'll have about 8 months of a beta period, followed by a fairly stable iOS. After 4 months of that, we'll then start all over. I guess this is the reward we get if we buy a new phone each year.

Right and as much as I love Apple products and I will stay with them as I love my iPhone, after dealing with iOS 8....I have learned my lesson and will never update my iOS until at least several updates have been issued, never on day one again. If I had to do it over again I would have hanged on to iOS6 for a little longer than gone to iOS7 and stayed on that for 6 months past the release of iOS8....live and learn.

I just don't like how it feels like I'm a beta tester when the new iOS is issued, I don't want to be a beta tester, I just want it to work.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

It is what it is. I'm happy to install new day 1 releases, I always make sure my phone is fully backed up.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just send them directly to apple as mentioned above. The more people report an issue (developer or not), the more likely apple will focus some time on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.