Can a developer revert back to 3.0 from 3.1 beta 2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by j-a-x, Jul 27, 2009.

1. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I'm an ex iPhone developer. I had a developer account for a long time but I decided not to renew it because I'm a poor grad student who no longer has time for iPhone development because of my research. I was wondering if it was possible for me to revert from iPhone 3.1 beta 2 back to iPhone OS 3.0 because I hear 3.1 beta 2 will expire tonight. I installed beta 2 honestly with a valid developer account but my account expired 3 days ago and I am not able to download beta 3. Please let me know if this is possible to do without too much trouble. If not, I might have to bite the bullet and renew my account just to make sure I don't lose phone service at midnight!

2. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

You can put it to DFU mode and then revert it back.

3. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Are you sure or are you just guessing? I am thinking there might be a problem due to the fact that 3.1 beta 2 uses a different modem firmware (baseband) than 3.0.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Download os3.0 and do a manual flash it will revert back to 3.0

5. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

By manual flash do you mean option click "check for updates" and chose the 3.0 firmware? Can anybody confirm that this works?

6. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

Oh, sorry, I wasn't sure which iPhone you were talking about. I can confirm that it's possible on a 2G iPhone as Ive done it myself though. However, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work as people reverted from 3.0 betas to 2.2.1

7. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I should have mentioned, I'm using a 3GS.

I did revert a 3G from 3.0 beta 1 to whatever the previous 2.2.x version was and it worked fairly well except I had to use QuickPwn to get my mac to recognize the phone after restoring (all I had to do was open QuickPwn to make the phone come back to life. I didn't use QuickPwn to modify the baseband).

I was hoping to avoid that trouble this time. I'm actually contemplating renewing my dev account now but I can't decide. If only I could make a $100 profit, I'd do it but I was going to release my app for free. It was going to be an iPhone version of my dashboard widget, Slothcam (http://www.jackson-myers.com/Jacksons_Website/SlothCam.html)

8. weeman macrumors 6502

Put your iPhone in DFU mode, hold option and click on restore and click on the firmware...restore and you will get an error...open purplera1n and let it do its thing!

Should get you back to 3.0, with the 3.1 baseband though...works fine!

9. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

When you say to let purplera1n do it's thing, do you mean jailbreak the phone? Because I don't want to jaibreak. Is there a way to do it without jailbreaking?

10. weeman macrumors 6502

11. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

There is no way to revert back to 3.0 without jailbreaking.

12. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Just rebooted my phone and it is officially dead - purple screen + slide for emergency. I guess I will just renew my dev account and continue working on my app in hopes of at least getting some donations to pay for another year of Dev access. I could just jailbreak it but this gives me a good excuse to continue developing I guess.

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Yeah it'll jailbreak.. but then you can restore it with 3.0 back on there, therefore unjailbreaking it.

14. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Are you sure? I tried all this and got nowhere.

15. weeman macrumors 6502

I don't think it works...I tried it a million times before and I kept on getting error messages...most likely due to the upgrade in the baseband.

16. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I used standard firmware to downgrade (after DFU mode) and then used iRecovery.

Awesome.