Can a different user access my macBook pro remotely without screen sharing?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rezeda, Nov 10, 2009.

1. rezeda macrumors newbie

Hello everybody!

At my workplace, another person needs to access my MacBook Pro running Leopard for things like printing, launching applications, creating and viewing files etc..
    Is it possible for him to do that from a PC without me sharing the screen with him? As I already tried, vpn doesn't work. Can he remotely access the mac with another user without interfering with my work?

Thank you for the replies!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not really no. OSX is not designed to allow that.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes its possible but no, OSX really is setup to guard against uninvited guests from connecting to your machine. To ensure you're Mac is setup properly make sure you have the firewall turned on and any sharing services that you don't need turned on. For instance, you probably don't need SSH so turn that off in the sharing pref panel.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

My understanding was that the OP wants the guest user to actually be able to run apps on his Mac and view them on the PC. Like remote-hosted X-applications...

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You'd need Apple Remote Desktop 3 to be able run applications in the background without the host knowing, but as far as I know, it's Mac only.