Can a Direct Fulfillment Order be Cancelled?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by radiotowers, Jul 22, 2008.

1. radiotowers macrumors member

I've seen various anecdotes in several different threads, but no one seems to know for sure. Can you cancel a DF order before it's been shipped? My phone has been backordered and I was able to get one at the local Apple Store today, so I need to cancel the order if at all possible.

Anyone been able to do this without any hassle from AT&T? Do you have to go to the store to get it done, or can you just call the store?

(I tried calling my local AT&T store where I placed the DF, but they haven't been answering the phone and the store just closed.)

2. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Why don't you head to your AT&T store tonight and find out for us?! I'll likely be in the same boat tomorrow since my local Apple Store has had iPhones available everyday for the last few days and I just placed my DF order yesterday. No way I'm waiting 3 weeks if I can get one tomorrow!

3. radiotowers thread starter macrumors member

I'd love to, but the store closed at 8 PM and no one answered the phone all day. ;)

4. jakeacc macrumors regular

My AT&T store said I can cancel my DF order if I end up buying one at the Apple Store. But, I've heard many others on this board say other things.

5. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

you can most certenly cancel your DF. I did but they were a pain in the butt they wanted me to pay the restocking fee (the phone already had arrived). Needless to say I didn't pay the fee. Just go back to the store with your recipt and cancel your order

6. tallen macrumors newbie

tallen

YES, you may cancel your Direct Fulfillment Order. Bring your receipt with you to AT&T, and they will cancel it for you there. However, if it has been shipped, there may or may not be an issue.

I did a direct order on Day 1 when the phone came out. On Day 2 I bought a phone at the store, and they canceled my order. My order had not been shipped (although I did get a confirmation email stating my order had been placed). There was no hassle from AT&T, however the clerk needed a manager to help her figure out how to perform the action.

On Day 1 AT&T informed me that my credit card would not be charged until I activated the phone at the store when it arrived. Therefore, worst case scenario, if your phone ships, you should cancel the charge with your credit card company. AT&T cannot force you to buy anything. They will have no problem selling the phone to someone else, and they are in short supply, so they have little argument for being a lost volume seller (and thus being able to collect from you). I would raise hell if they try to do a re-stocking fee.

7. plasticlung macrumors newbie

I cancelled my DF order for an 8GB iphone on the 17th and ordered a 16GB on the same day as well. Just needed my receipt. In hindsight I would've had my iphone already by now if I hadn't cancelled. The original order is confirmed cancelled as shown by the order status.

8. radiotowers thread starter macrumors member