Can a film studio cut you out of a scene with Adobe After Effects?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by waloshin, Mar 11, 2012.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Can a film studio cut you out of a scene with Adobe After Effects: As in totally remove you as if you were never in the scene?

2. fs454 macrumors 65816

Short answer: Yes.

Why do you ask? Anything can be accomplished with money and compositing programs like AE are very powerful.

3. simsaladimbamba

They cut just cut that take, and if they visually "enhance" the picture to remove some part, yes, they would use something like After Effects, as there are more advanced tool for that than After Effects.

4. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

I was just wondering, did some background work and I do not want to be cut from the scene. :D So I was curious if they could.

What is the take is crucial to the show so they do not want to cut the whole take out, just the one actor.

5. simsaladimbamba

Why do you think, that they take you out?
    And if they decide to, depending on their budget, they could, but it would be easier to blur someone than to replace or take away someone from moving images.

Background actors are important, but they aren't really given a thought in post processing, only laughed at and then taken anyway.

6. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

The scene was us getting out of our squad cars then walking to a back of a building to make it look like we where securing the perimeter then coming back from the side walking back to the squad cars when the person arrested was being hauled out of the building and into the police car. I do not think I will be cut as the Assistant director said that we were perfect and the director said we were excellent after the scene.

7. simsaladimbamba

Then there is no need to ponder about this anymore, unless you feel paranoid (I had the same feelings when being a background actor, though I just wished it would be cut).

8. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Haha why did you wish it was cut.

9. simsaladimbamba

I don't like looking at moving images of me, even when working in the "industry", or especially. But that were low budget appearances for a first season of some horrible series, and some other appearances. Maybe there is one I like, but I smoked too much pot at that time to even remember on how many projects I took part in front and behind the camera.

10. mBox macrumors 68020

no disrespect to the op but this was the weirdest post Ive ever come across in MacRumors :)

11. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Haha well I am sure there are worse. :)

12. mBox macrumors 68020

Your right there are :)
    Just thought it was weird due to the nature of the question.
    I use After Effects and a big time movie buff.
    Just funny how the question unfolded ;)

13. fs454 macrumors 65816

Yeah, they would have no reason to cut you. You were there for a reason, to show up in the background and fill the scene as if it were a realistic setting for the camera.

Trust me, as a cinematographer we want you there and in the shot. We wouldn't spend thousands of dollars of post-work on erasing you if our original intention was to place you in the shot in the first place!

Shooting stuff with insufficient extras sucks.

14. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Did u do something to deserve to be cut from the shot...? Like state down the camera when u were in shot or wave... Or hold up a sign saying 'hi mom'?

If not then they wouldn't waste their time painting u out... Besides unless there was vfx in the shot they likely would have any clean plate shots to paint back to... Any other technique would be time consuming and expensive.

15. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

If I held up a sign that said, "Hi Mom" I would be have been yelled at and sent home lol.