Can a "fresh install" be done off the Leopard UTD disc?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mindflux, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Not like "erase and install", or "archive and install", but say I wanted to wipe my drive and load Leopard on my iMac. Would I be required to waste an hour or more loading Tiger on my iMac (since that's what came with it) before loading Leopard? I' m sorry if this has been touched before but I couldn't find anything on it with a quick search.

2. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I think this might work. You will need to install Tiger on an external drive first. Next boot from the UTD disc. You should now be able to do a clean install on the internal drive.
    Hope this helps.

3. Mindflux thread starter macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I don't have an external drive as of yet. :(

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Why not just do an Erase and Install? That's exactly what you're talking about doing, except it saves you a step.

jW

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just to be more explicit:

"Erase and Install" is "wipe my drive and load", so why not just do that?

B

6. Mindflux thread starter macrumors 68000

Mindflux

So, if i want to start fresh down the road leopard will let me run 'erase and install' from inside of leopard? it'll reboot, format the drive and install without gabbing about needing a version of OSX on the drive before hand?

7. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

yea, this is an interesting question. For those who have Tiger, but dont care about whats on their computer or have it backed up, how can they just wipe clean and start with Leopard?

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The UTD version will check for an existing installation of Tiger or Leopard, then ask whether you want to upgrade, archive or erase. Assuming Tiger is already installed, you can just boot from the DVD and choose Erase and Install and presto! You'll have a fresh install :)