Can a genius tell if you open your phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by PhoenixAD, Sep 25, 2009.

1. PhoenixAD macrumors newbie

Here's the issue, my girl dropped her new Iphone 3GS from a height of 2 feet onto a carpeted floor. Now it's got the white screen of death. I tried everything from updating the operating software to 3.0.1 to restoring it back to factory settings. Nothing worked.

I started to shake a bit and heard a tiny rattle inside. Seems something may have come loose or broke off internally. My question is I am suppose to take this to the apple store to have it looked at it tomorrow. Is there any way that I can open the case at the top (just the 2 screws) and see if I can shake the little rattling part out? Will they know I opened the phone?

Trying my best not to pay $200 for another one because this thing can't take a tiny drop.

P.S. She had a case on it too to cushion the fall

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!!!!

2. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I wouldn't open it.

Just own up to it and see what a genius says/

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That little rattling part inside is part of the iPhone -- if you take it out, then, yes, Apple will notice it's missing! Unless you know how to put that part back into its proper place yourself, there isn't any point in you opening the phone.

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Leave it well alone! Your knowledge of electronics is obviously non-existant so what do you think you are going to do if you do open it up?

Accidents do happen, so, get it back to Apple and let them sort it.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

To answer the original question no they can't tell if you have opened it up unless you make a hash of it.