Can a hypthesis have two sides?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Jun 6, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I am writing a term paper on gas mileage comparing 1999 vehicles to 2009 vehicles. Can I have a two sided hypothesis like this one?

- With the higher rise in fuel costs over the last 10 years, I am guessing that the average fuel mileage of the vehicles would increase, as entires tune the engines more. Though on the other hand with the rise in safety standard vehicles now carry more weight because of extra air bags, ect. Which could result in a lower miles per gallon.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes it can.

If you word it right, so that the reader will understand what you mean, why should you not illuminate as many aspects of the subject as you can.
    And it's not as the aspect you shown us are that differing, just two factors to include in your hypothesis.

A hypothesis isn't meant to only illuminate the pros or cons of one's subject, there should be an "and" between the pros and cons.

I hope, that what I've written is somehow decipherable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothesis - yes, wiki.

3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

it can but your statement is not the right way to do it.
    you are trying to prove two point

1) new cars have better mpg
    2) new cars weight more

hypothesis is supposed to look at one factor.

better way to phrase it : despite increased weight from safety standards that lower the mpg , newer cars have better mpg than older cars

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Don't use the term "I am guessing". A hypothesis indicates that this is what you believe to be true, and you have to convince others of that same thing. By "guessing", you're giving a sense that it may not be true to the best of your knowledge.