Can a IIe IIc IIGS read Windows Floppies

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by walterliv, Sep 6, 2010.

1. walterliv macrumors newbie

I've got a project to recover text files from boxes of old Windows 5 1/4 inch DSDD disks. I can't seem to borrow a system that has a 5.25, and can't find one working on eBay. I do have an older PowerMac G3 available, and I can find working IIe IIc IIGS floppy disk drives on eBay. My question is compatibility. I just want to do a simple text file copy from the 5.25 to a 3 1/2 floppy so I can put in my WinXP system that's on my iMac network. Ultimate destination - 10.6.4 SL server.

I thought I'd just pay to have whatever copied from the diskettes, but they want $5 per diskette just for the try - I have about 100 floppies - not cost effective.

Many thanks in advance for any compatibility information.

2. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

No.

You may be interested in this device:
    http://www.deviceside.com/fc5025.html
    You will need that and a TEAC high density floppy drive (1.2MB), obtainable form eBay. And a typical drive power supply. But that way you'd be able to image all of your disks.

I've got a little girl here that is interested in making enough money to buy a new iPod Touch... maybe we can work something out. ;-)

3. walterliv thread starter macrumors newbie

Can a IIe IIc IIGS read Windows Floppies?

Many thanks David - I looked at that device and it's probably going to work for me. As well, I have one of the TEAC drives in my possession already. So, I'm going to go visit a friend with a Zenith Z-150 and see if his will work, and if not I'll purchase that device. Again, many thanks....

4. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

Great, glad you'll be able to get going. It's back to pet sitting for my iPod-seeking daughter, then. :)